How to get house plans from council?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Sorry, another stupid question but I had some builders in to give me a quote for knocking down a wall and I thought they could investigate and tell me if it is load bearing or not, but they said I should get the house plans from the council instead. I googled this and I only found links to councils in New Zealand offering this service. Does anybody know what council department is looking after these and what is the procedure to get them?
Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
It's doubtful you will get drawings from the local council. They certainly don't offer it as a service. You can request to see planning files (which are public) which might have drawings in but those won't be production drawings so most likely won't show any structural info. Building regs drawings are private so they don't let them out. I don't really understand why your builder couldn't have just told you there and then if it's load bearing. It isn't rocket science.

Hmmm
That might have something to say about the builder.
So would a "normal" builder be able to tell if it is a load bearing wall or do I need a surveyor / engineer / architect?

The house plans are irrelevant, you need to know how the wall is actually built, not how the plans say it might have been built

If a builder cant tell if a wall is load bearing, then he is not a builder, and should not be let loose with a hammer or acro prop

Sponsored Links
Hmmm
That might have something to say about the builder.
So would a "normal" builder be able to tell if it is a load bearing wall or do I need a surveyor / engineer / architect?
Any builder worth his salt should be able to figure it out in 5 minutes.

BC plans and applications are private but home owners have a right to view on request from your local council assuming they undertook the original build of course. You should check your deeds to see if it holds any BC application references. Remember that some properties would have been inspected by the NHBC so the council would have no plans for those. However if you ask kindly then the NHBC may also grant you access to view plans. It is important to note as well that you may well only see your House Type plans rather than your actual house.

Councils may charge you if you don't have references and be cautious of asking for copies of drawings as copyright might apply! Some councils charge professionals to view plans on behalf of owners.

I have heard, although not certain if true, that requesting access to BC records could be deemed an EIR request.

Although of course everyone is right that your builder shouldn't need plans to do his job properly!

If a builder cant tell if a wall is load bearing, then he is not a builder, and should not be let loose with a hammer or acro prop

Any builder worth his salt should be able to figure it out in 5 minutes.

Hmmm. A bit harsh fellas.

I surveyed a job in Jan, whereby a couple wanted to remove a section of wall that either supported the floor joists or the joists went on to the toilet wall 1m further on.
Looking at the stairwell told me that the joist thickness was probably 200mm and that if the joists over the wall section were the same, then they would be able to span this wall in any case.

Anyhoo i said we would need to remove a section of ceiling to confirm.

And so did the structural engineer when he came to look.

I removed the ceiling and the joists actually JOINED (overlapped) on this wall so it was load-bearing.

Steel beam, ho-hum.

Not all is what it seems Glasshopper... :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back