how to get rid of my builder

Out of interest, have you tried searching for his name / companies name on google?
Have you checked his trading name on the companies house website?

OH YES i have and found nothing at all, he must be self employed.

Sponsored Links
Would it be possible to pay another surveyer to give an expert opinion (and list the faults) rather than go straight to legal?

Sounds like he knows what he's doing to me - he already has £20k of your money & is just looking for more or you to give him an excuse to leaving the job as it is.

Can't imagine that he's going to sue you.

I think I'd be looking to get some of the £20k back and pay someone else to fix it rather than paying him more.

The proplem is that even if he is not coming back he says he still wants his money!!

Just get your expert in ASAP.
Don't pay him a penny more - and if he even hints at "getting nasty" go straight to the police. Harassment is a criminal offence - Section 1, Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

Does he phone you up demanding money ? Is this on a landline or mobile ? If he's phoning your landline and demanding money, then invest in a recorder and record all the calls as evidence. No sure about mobiles.
If he's calling at the front door, then that's different, but consider what you can do to record the conversations.

I'd say prosecution for that is unlikely, but if you are later in a position to demonstrate fraud and harassment (two separate criminal offences) then it makes your negotiating position a lot better later when your expert is "negotiating" how much money is owed.
If it gets to court (civil for money), then him being investigated for criminal actions over it won't make him look good.

Does he phone you up demanding money ? Is this on a landline or mobile ? If he's phoning your landline and demanding money, then invest in a recorder and record all the calls as evidence. No sure about mobiles.
If he's calling at the front door, then that's different, but consider what you can do to record the conversations.

Most mobiles have a built in recorder for both calls and local environment, OP learn how to use it.

Sponsored Links
For the first 3 months until August the 2 builders came regularly.we already had given him most of the money.then he begged us to give him the last payment to do the roof. We did but he only did some of it and we had to wait until October to the roof felt to be completely applied.Betwern September and November they were not coming regularly because the contractor was sending them on other jobs to "finance our job".they came half day before christmas then we didn't hear anything for 4 weeks.so my husband called him and asked him what was going on and that ww had enough.i also called him but he made it clear no money then he is not coming back and its all our fault because we havent given him money since August and its our fault. We even had to complain to the skip company to have it removed.it was full for months and didnt want to hear anything.trading agency doesnt care.so a letter to him so he knows we are not going to take this s... Anymore.

Why on earth did you make the final payment for the roof when the rest wasn't finished?

Go see a solicitor asap. Get an independent surveyors report asap.

I'm only going to say this one more time. Before you think about solicitors you need to know exactly what you've got and what you options are. At the moment you've got zero chance of dealing with this builder/surveyor and if you think he's going to go away you need to think again.

You should instruct a chartered building surveyor to inspect and report on your extension. As a minimum you need to know the current state of the works, what works are incomplete and to make sure it is safe. Secondly you need to know the standard of the works completed and identify anything that is so far below standard as to be unfit. Thirdly you need to know what needs to be done to complete the works.

Ask the surveyor to comment on any documentation and finally advise on a course of action. Only when you have this information can you decdie what to do next. The cost of the report will pay for itself several times. Bear in mind what you've spent so far, what you might have to spend to get the works complete and what it might cost you to get rid of that builder.

As an aside I would also write to CIOB, send them a copy of the letter head and tell them the builder/surveyor is using their title without authorisation. Ask them what they intend doing about it. Also write to the RICS with the same information and and tell them that your trusted this bloke because he said he was a chartered surveyor but it appears you were mislead. Ask them what they intend doing about it. I'm not so sure about CIOB but the RICS is very sensitive about that sort of thing and will almost certainly pursue it.

Out of interest, have you tried searching for his name / companies name on google?
Have you checked his trading name on the companies house website?

OH YES i have and found nothing at all, he must be self employed.

Several companies similar to that name appear on companies house, check it as I'm not sure the location ties in.

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk//wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

Have you arranged an appointment with an independent surveyor yet?

Aciob said he has just registered.2 weeks ago he was nnot.
I shouldnt have told him i had rung them. He is not registered with rics and they told us we could go to the police and rics can write to them> I think They will give him a first warning and tell him he is not allowed to use this title.

gnougnoume you do not appear to be listening to the best advice that people are giving you here - you need to employee the services of an independent surveyor and a solicitor to resolve this matter.

gnougnoume you do not appear to be listening to the best advice that people are giving you here - you need to employee the services of an independent surveyor and a solicitor to resolve this matter.
Indeed, that would be my port of call.

a solicitor is too expensise, also we wre told that we would probably not have any money back, and the lawyer wouuld get his money back either

Well your fecked then, this thread is just going round and round ad nauseum! Jeez!

well we do not want any money from him, we want to get rid of him and employ someone else, i am hoping that once he knows we can report him to the police for using a qualification he hasn't got then taht will be it!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back