Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In 2008 Planning Dept approved the plans to extend the hip roof
with large dormer, and to add a porch.

This time last year we started the foundations for the porch,
but we had to stop.

We are about to continue in the next week or so.

The Chartered Surveyor who drew the plans basically said
"will a porch size of (l) 3m x (w) 1.5m - be okay."

I said yes thinking that 3 x 1.5 would be a good space.

I also just agreed with him because the previous owners had two
major extensions, and I didn't think that our application would go
through, but it was worth a try.

When the BCO came round last year before we started to dig,
I asked him if it would be okay to extend the width of the
porch from 1.5m to 2m.

His reply "it's got nothing to do with me."

SO MY QUESTION

Could I increase the size of the porch from 3 metres x 1.5 metres
to 3 metres x 1.75 metres ?

Height: 2.4m

It's a detached property, and the extra width (from property to road)
would not impact on anyone.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
The BCO was right to keep out of it - it's not his area

Strictly you need planning perm. if the porch exceeds 3 sq m, as yours would do.
But who is going to bother? Personally I'd just do it and if by chance you get pulled up, you can always submit a retrospective application You would not be commiting a criminal offence!

Probably not as the Regs changed in 2010 (I think!). The old Regs were more generous but if you increase the size or the porch above what’s on the approved PP drawings then, strictly speaking, you’re into a new PP submission. You will be in breach if you make it larger than current approved drawings & the Regs allow. The fact it’s “detached & won’t impact on anyone” is totally irrelevant; even in the middle of nowhere it wouldn’t make any dereference; rules is rules I’m afraid!

As Tony says; if you feel lucky, roll the dice but if you’re having other inspected work done (which hasn’t already been inspected) then you’re likely to be onto a looser! I'll paint your worse scenario & if you get found out within 4 years then you could submit a retrospective application but if it gets rejected then you could be presented with an enforcement notice! But even if you get away with it, you will still have an “Unauthorised Building Works” tag which will surface on any buyer solicitors request & could cause problems when you come to sell up!

Stephen; you will be enlarging your porch by about 10". (250mm).
Stop worrying about it and just DO IT!.
If the worst came to the worst, the Council might consider enforcement. However, there are still guidlines which Councils have to follow, and it is not regarded as appropriate to take enforcement action for a 'minor or technical breach where no harm has occurred'.

Google PPG 18 (guidelines on enforcement) and look on page 2 - its in a paragraph there. Don't tell me that a 10" enlargement of a porch over that approved, on a detached house, is anything other than a minor breach!

Sponsored Links
Its a minor breach but a breach all the same. It could cause problems with a sale in the future with a nervous buyer and the OP should understand that risk.

Its a minor breach but a breach all the same. It could cause problems with a sale in the future with a nervous buyer and the OP should understand that risk.

Granted - to a point - but

1. He'd be in the clear after four years; and

2. If he sold the house, is any surveyor/solicitor even going to pick up on it? I mean - if I was doing a survey on that house, I wouldn't measure the overall size of the extension and porch, and then go home and look up the old approval on the internet and compare dimensions. I'd be more concerned about checking for cracks and damp.

And as for solicitors, you know as well as I that most can't tell the difference between Planning Permission and Building Regs. - the number of 'phone call queries I've had over the years from solicitors, who are paid to know better.

Well if a nosey neighbour gets the planners to investigate, a letter will be sent out, its happened before on here. Petty? Probably but why bother getting permission for something too small anyway.

As mentioned it will become immune but it will never be legal, some buyers will get nervous at this like it or not.

Thanks to all that have replied.

I've taken on board the pro & cons which I am grateful for, because I didn't have a clue.

We hope to be here for more than four years.

I am going to take the chance.

Stephen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back