is retro planning permission required for 12 yr old decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my decking constructed around 12 years ago. It is about 1 metre off the patio with a 3.5ft balustrade surrounding and steps down to the patio.It doesn't overlook the neighbours gardens due to existing walls and hedges so i have had no complaints. The whole job was carried out by a qualified and competent builder who sunk the posts into concrete and used proper joists to support the deck boards.
However, I was never made aware that planing permission might have been required or is this a relatively recent amendment to the planning regulations governing the erection of decks? Question is; do i now have to seek retrospective permission?
David

Sponsored Links
You can rest easy.

The planning dept can do noth9ing about your decking after 4 years, let alone 12.

If the regulations changed after your decking was erected then it would not apply to your decking.

Forget it - its not an issue.

Although its prudent to ensure you keep any proof of when it was constructed.

Sponsored Links
I'm not getting involved. I'll let Matty "half a job" lad do it. :LOL:

No, come on Woody - what circumstances are you referring to?

I have obviously forgotten something, please remind me.

Tumbleweed.gif

Obviously not.

Could it be something to do with being in a conservation area?, being on the moon?, when the decking is placed on jelly?

After 12 years and with no officials pestering then its best to just forget about it - there is no problem.

BTW, here is the town and country planning act 1990 legislation time limit exemptions.

I cannot see any circumstances in it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back