Is this window illegal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Building control came and he wasn't sure if this window can be fitted on a flat roof, because it is above a corridor and in case there is a fire.
what do you think?

Sponsored Links
It's probably too close to the boundary then. If so, would need a fire resistant glass

Sponsored Links
It's probably too close to the boundary then. If so, would need a fire resistant glass

I would thought it would be a standard to be fire resistant? it is toughened glass.

I checked and it is a GRP window, About Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP)
GRP has many benefits for usage in all industry applications as its versatility means it combines inherent strength with lightweightness and durability in even the most extreme conditions.

High strength - Corrosion free - Extremely safe - Non conductive - Fire retardant - Cost effective - Weather proof - Durable

Si I belive it is fire resistant?

If its grp it will be the frame thats grp not the glass I would have thought, looks to clear to be clear grp sheet.

Daniel

Apparently if th wondow is not fire resistant it has to be at at leats 1 metre from the boundary. mine is 50 cm so the building inspector advised on building parapet.
I called the planning department and that's what they said:

I can advise that under Part 1, Class A of the GPDO 1995, as amended, the height of the eaves of your single storey rear extension can not exceed 3m measured from ground level. This is because the extension is within 2m of the boundary with the neighbouring properties. For the purposes of measuring the eaves height of a flat roof extension the eaves height is measured from the ground level at the base of the outside wall to the point where that wall would meet the upper surface of the flat roof. This does not include the parapet wall which can be built up to a maximum height of 4m, measured from ground level. Further guidance can be found at: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/house

Please accept that the above advice is given at officer level and does not commit the Local Planning Authority to any formal decision. Should you require a formal decision you will need to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate.

Planning permission and b/regs are different. Not being able to do something under planning regulations, does not remove the requirement to conform to building regualtions

Planning permission and b/regs are different. Not being able to do something under planning regulations, does not remove the requirement to conform to building regualtions

We told the building inspector what planning told us and he is happy for us to build the parapet, it will be one metre, it is easier than removing the window and putting new joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back