Joists layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just submitted plans to building control for loft conversion without dormer.

Got a reply back stating that the joists need to run back to front not side to side like i have drawn it creates a problem both for sound/ separation and support.

Any views on this?

thanx

Sponsored Links
Not with the scant information you've provided. The proposed joists need to provide adequate support, are they supporting any roof structure etc etc. Had an SE input in your design? What are the spans, what size and centres are the joists? Maybe post your drawings in the thread?

If these are new floor joists and not being used to triangulate the roof rafters, then there should be no reason why they can't span side-to-side

Sponsored Links
Thanx for the info
The home owner has decided they probably put an onsuite in the future so back to front layout would be ideal for future work ie ( running pipes)

Iv got a idea on the layout could anyone send me a rough layout of a layout with side stairs because I dnt want to be back and forward with the BC

Thanx

If you are doing this as part of paid work for "the homeowner", then IMO you should be sorting this out yourself, or paying for some professional advice. Sorry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back