Laundry Chute Help!!!

u22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm thinking of installing a laundry chute in my house, I don't think its a common household facility in the UK as I have never heard of or know anyone who has one.

I'm interested because it will make life easier as I have a large family...

I'm thinking of installing it from the first floor to the basement - that's going through 2 floors in total. I want to completely comply with the building regs and fire standards, could you please advise on my plan and the questions I have regarding it. Currently my plan consists of:

1) Chute diameter of 30cm
2) Chute Material: Stainless Steel
3) 1.5 hour fire rated self closing door at the top
4) 1 hour fire damper at the basement level

5) Box the pipe in with fire board and plaster it

6) Add a fire alarm at the top of the chute (inside) - fire alarm will be interconnected to others throughout the house.

My questions:

a) Is a laundry chute legal in the UK for residential houses?
b) Is my plan above sufficient to satisfy all the building and fire regs?
c) Do I have to inform the council that I'm putting one in?

Any other recommendations welcome!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but your plan sounds belts and braces. Not sure it needs to be metal - just form it from stud walls (clad both sides, firstly for fire protection and secondly to stop socks getting stuck on the noggins).

Building regs would not apply, and nor would fire precautions if this is a domestic property

You would just need to follow good industry practice for insurance purposes - which it looks like you are doing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back