lean to shed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help?
We live in a conservation area and have built a wooden lean to shed on the side of the house. We spoke to neighbours and everyone was happy. It is 5m square. Someone has complained and we have now a letter from the council saying we need planning permission as it is classed as an extension. I have been on the planning portal for extensions and outbuildings and is no clearer on the regulations. Spoken to the the council and they said it should be built out of brick?
:cry:

Sponsored Links
When asking for planning permission do I class it as an extension? We have no access from inside the house.

Anything attached to the building will be classed as an extension. Move it 1cm away and its freestanding. Rules is rules.

Sponsored Links
Although in planning terms it may well be classed as an extension, on your application it is important that you correctly describe it by its usage so that it is considered on that basis

So you should call it an "attached storage shed".

The planners may amend it to .... "an extension to form an attached storage shed" or suchlike, but I would not worry about it, let them do that if they want .... and if they do they must tell you that the title has been altered

As for the materials, then you need to check you local councils policies. Sheds are normally timber, so there must be a good reason (or policy) if the council want it made of brick

Already built the shed! That's the last time I take advise from a builder! Can I still put a free standing shed so close to the house? (down the side of the house) The neighbours property is at a lower level form ours and has full view of the shed.

Most things built in the garden - even sheds and wendy houses are "development" in planning terms and require permission.

Some will be "permitted development", and as such be 'pre-approved' and wont require a formal application. In conservation areas however, many permitted development rights are removed, and so formal applications are required for most things

Thanks everyone for your advise. Spoke to the neighbour after the work was completed and had his fence fixed. He was happy about the work completed and the changes we made. He even gave us 2 bottles of wine! not sure where we stand with him now. I will put in for planning permission and let you know how I get on. In the mean time I will continue to smile at the neighbours!!!! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back