Legally, how far can you extend with planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We are submitting plans for a rear-ground-floor extension to our semi-bungalow. It has already been extended. We are proposing to add another 10m approx. We have a large back garden 200ft plus. There are no existing buildings shed or otherwise on the land.
What I would like to know is, are there any laws governing how far you can extend in my situation? I have scoured the web including planning portal to find out what guidelines there are surround rear extensions. I can find lots on permitted building, this obviously isn't. I can talk to planning officers next week but I just wanted to do some research over the week end. Anyone out their knowledgeable about this kind of thing? Your help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What you need to do is find your 'Local Plan' online. If you cannot find it by Googling then we might be able to find it if you let us know your Local Authority. This Local Plan dictates what (usually) the Local Authority will and will not accept with regards to extensions, their size, materials, appearance etc. Generally unless you are in the Green Belt or other oddity there are few limits to the actual size of an extension but it must work with the existing house.

Have a look at what neighbours have done for a rough guide.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all. Freddie, I had already found the local plan and it didn't highlight any specific height. However after you mentioned it I went back to it and it speaks about what is a more favourable design. Thank you, I think I am heading on the right path to create a passable design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back