Local Authority Building Control.

They are generally all fairly competitive seeing as LA BC's are run to make a profit and compete with the private sector. They are also very often very helpful as is often communicated in the many posts on this very forum. In fact many also find that private inspectors are a bit rubbish too.

Bear in mind also that inspectors are not obliged to find solutions, that is the designers or builders job. A fact that many on here don't seem to be able to grasp. Inspectors must get completely fed up of self builders.

Sponsored Links
My experience is the opposite. I commented on here before about this but the last extension I designed the building inspector made me jump through hoops to get the drawings approved - every minor issue you could name was picked up.
However, once the build started she was happy to turn a blind eye to practically everything.
She agreed with the builder that foundation blocks could be used rather than cavity blockwork, and with no insulation.
100mm of insulation was accepted in the vaulted roof, rather than the 165 required.
Common bricks were accepted below DPC in some areas, rather than frost resistant bricks.
75mm Jablite in the floor rather than 75mm Kingspan.
Waste water was run directly into soakaway.

All I could do was remonstrate with the builder and inform the client...who wasn't willing to make waves with the builder so it got left as it was.

My experience is the opposite. I commented on here before about this but the last extension I designed the building inspector made me jump through hoops to get the drawings approved - every minor issue you could name was picked up.
However, once the build started she was happy to turn a blind eye to practically everything.
She agreed with the builder that foundation blocks could be used rather than cavity blockwork, and with no insulation.
100mm of insulation was accepted in the vaulted roof, rather than the 165 required.
Common bricks were accepted below DPC in some areas, rather than frost resistant bricks.
75mm Jablite in the floor rather than 75mm Kingspan.
Waste water was run directly into soakaway.

All I could do was remonstrate with the builder and inform the client...who wasn't willing to make waves with the builder so it got left as it was.
[code:1]

I remember reading your original thread about this and must say I was shocked then and now.

Why on earth did the inspector allow the builder to get away with such breaches of basic building regulations? [/code:1]

Where's Theoldun? See, mate, I've had my a*s kicked again wihout even asking :cry:
Tony, feel sure that you appreciate that our post was with tongue in cheek.
We know, sympathise and understand exactly what direction you are coming from, but unfortunatly in this instance you are up sh*t creek with out a paddle, as the BI is quite with in his rights with regard to Radon.
Indy, if you are reading this, on small works now, we always try to persuade our clients to go with private BI, as we find that they are more prepared to talk to you.
Now it is of yer chest Tony, give the dog a playful kick up the backside and go up the pub. :LOL:
Regards oldun

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind also that inspectors are not obliged to find solutions, that is the designers or builders job.

I do agree with that, and I personally would not ask or expect a BI to solve a problem; I just wish they wouldn't go hunting out problems like sniffer dogs.

My problem is that the bulk of my own work for a number of years has come from a group of developers. They buy up old houses and turn them into flats and student lets and they have made good money out of this. Some of the local (Council) inspectors seem a bit envious of this money-making and do their best to put a spanner in the works. I get caught in the middle, though I have to side with the people who pay me!

Where's Theoldun? See, mate, I've had my a*s kicked again wihout even asking :cry:
Tony, feel sure that you appreciate that our post was with tongue in cheek.
We know, sympathise and understand exactly what direction you are coming from, but unfortunatly in this instance you are up sh*t creek with out a paddle, as the BI is quite with in his rights with regard to Radon.
Indy, if you are reading this, on small works now, we always try to persuade our clients to go with private BI, as we find that they are more prepared to talk to you.
Now it is of yer chest Tony, give the dog a playful kick up the backside and go up the pub. :LOL:
Regards oldun

I wish I'd thought of it sooner Oldun. I'm pretty sure I've paid all the LA BR fees upfront when they approved the BR drawings :(

In all seriousness, there should be no problem in designing compliant designs. There is a lot of flexibility in the b/regs, and the only feedback from the council should be for things possibly missed, or just clarification.

If you know your design complies, then you say so and tell the BCO that. Many BCO's don't expect a robust reply telling them why they are wrong

If you know your design complies, then you say so and tell the BCO that. Many BCO's don't expect a robust reply telling them why they are wrong

I understand what you are saying but it is not that easy.
My dveloper-clients often pre-let their houses/flats well before they are completed, and have to work to a very tight deadline or incur penalties.

Trouble is, the BIs know this, and have sometimes deliberately been difficult over interpretation of specific regs, effectively saying that 'black is white'. In these circumstances, I would have relished the opportunity to apply to DCLG for a determination. However, we can't do this once the work in question is underway, so the inspectors know they have us over a barrel, and my hands are tied.

Then make a complaint to their line manager.

BCO's can't be too careful with their jobs in these times

I remember reading your original thread about this and must say I was shocked then and now.

Why on earth did the inspector allow the builder to get away with such breaches of basic building regulations?
Beats me. I definitely think it depends who you get. Some are definitely more picky than others. The builder did inform me that they have built with insulation free foundation blocks on several occasions and they've always been accepted.

The regularisation of the electrics on my house was a similar story (although to my benefit this time). My electrician firstly stopped turning up (so I did the majority of the work myself) then informed me he actually wasn't qualified to sign it off.
I applied to get the work regularised and they did little more than take the covers off a couple of sockets and have a cursory glance at the consumer unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back