Loft conversion 70% complete by previous owner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently bought a house with a 70% completed loft conversion by the previous owner. My question is how do I go about finding out if the conversion is done to building regs, should I get it inspected by the council or will I be opening a can of worms?

Sponsored Links
Potentially, depends what you want to do really?

Surely your solicitor asked if the works to date had been done to Building Regs or not when you purchased even though it was never certified?

What has been done, are there some steels? Are they exposed? How much has been covered up? You'd typically expect a steel at floor level under each purlin and beefy floor joists. Got any of that? What about insulation?

To make a statement that it is 70% complete must mean that you know to what standard it here's been built, otherwise it could be 7% complete.

Your question should be "has my conversion got Building regulations", and you find out by phoning the council

Sponsored Links
Ideal you need what plans they previous worked to.
If BR applied they may be willing to give a copy.
You def need to know what the design/spec was because there is so many variants that you could be working to.Ie
Steel or no steels and where they are required floor roof or neither
insulation what was spec to meet requirements
fire guard, i had details changed on dormer wall

Phone building regs firstly, If they have nothing you'll need start from fresh but getting help to work out what you got is good enough and work from that so that when you carry out the completion BR can sign off the start to your application. ie your loft has wood no steels and your SE designs it with steel. BR might notice difference.
Hope that makes sence

And presumably you knocked the price down by a massive amount to reflect your risk, so you wont be out of pocket if you do have to put it all right

Just make sure your house insurer knows about it either way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back