Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am planning a loft conversion on my bungalow and have a question so can someone please help.

Basically I am planning to run a set of stairs up into the loft and have a large open plan bedroom with on-suite and a walk in wardrobe.
My question is do I need to put a fire door on the top or bottom of the stairs or can I just have a fire escape Velux.
The new room will have a front facing dormer and a couple of Velux windows to the sides and also a mains fire alarm connected to the existing mains alarm in the bungalow.
The work will all be done with planning consent but I'm just looking for a heads up before I get the plans drawn up or apply for anything.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
You will need a fire door, and it can go at the top or bottom of the new flight.

Its about protection from fire, not escape

Ok thats gonna really screw up the open plan look upstairs then
and look odd downstairs is there no other way of doing it?

Sponsored Links
Oops, sorry ..... just noticed its a bungalow. No fire doors are required for two storeys :oops:

What's so funny about the OP living in a bungalow? :rolleyes:
It's not the OP living in a bungalow that's funny, it's the all-knowing, expert, erudite aand mine-of-information surveyor who didn't read the f****** post properly! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back