Loft Fire Regs - wire mesh under Rockwool required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Quick question. Does UK or England's household fire regulations require wire mesh (chicken wire) to cradle Rockwool that's fitted over a ceiling, when a new loft conversion is built?

We're in the process of agreeing final payment for a loft conversion we've recently had completed. The work's been signed off by a private BCO but does not include wire mesh under the ceiling Rockwool.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've never specified it, normally the new T&G floorboards and plasterboard will achieve the 30 mins resistance on its own. There could be an argument if your ceiling was lathe and plaster and it was in poor condition.

It is not an absolute requirement, but can be a solution in certain instances

Sponsored Links
Inspectors here always ask for the wire mesh in loft conversions. The reasoning seems to be that the wire holds the fibreglass in position for a brief period should the ceiling drop out in a fire. In holding the fibreglass against the joists, it insulates them from the effects of the fire and so prolongs their life. If there was no wire, presumably the fibreglass could fall out with the ceiling and then expose the joists to the fire.

You don't say what your floor construction is? Building regs says nothing about chicken wire or wire mesh. What regs do say is that the floor should provide 30 minutes protection or 30 minutes 'modified' protection if it's an existing floor. That can be achieved in many ways. Chicken wire and insulation is just one of them. It comes from BRE208.

I'm also in the process of doing a loft conversion and the building inspector also mentioned chicken wire,but as I had already re boarded the existing ceilings with fire line plasterboard and skimmed them this would give the protection that is needed,check what plasterboard was used you should be able to see the writing on the back of it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back