Loft Strengthening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have decent loft space of 9.3m x 6.3 m with headroom of approximately 2m at centre and am thinking of using this space for storing following items:
1) Medium size wardrobe and Chester drawer filled with clothes and other items which we do not use regularly
2) Wooden chairs
3) Plastic boxes
4) Book shelf
5) Other light items
I have a large family and need an extra bedroom. One of our small bedrooms is currently being used as a store room and is filled with above items. I am trying to move everything from small bedroom to the loft. I can’t afford to move to a bigger house or loft conversion.
I am planning to do the following:
1) strengthen loft joist as per instruction of structural engineer to carry the load of the items described above and access to the loft using loft ladder
2) I need regular access to loft for clothes and require natural lighting (roof window or others)
3) Insulate loft rafter to prevent dampness and condensation in loft space
4) No electric or plumbing work
5) No fixed staircase
My question is
1) Can I get Building Control approval for the type of work I am intending to do?
2) What is the best way to get natural lighting in the loft? If I put too many roof window then building control may think I am using it as a room.
3) How many roof windows do I need so that I can easily access to stored items with the help of natural light?
4) I also need rafter insulation so that my clothes are not damaged by dampness.

Can anyone suggest me the best way to solve this problem?

Sponsored Links
There is no need for an SE if you want to store fairly lightweight stuff up there. Any meaningful strengthening of a loft floor will involve installing beams that span from each external wall unless you have internal loadbearing walls and will be expensive. You can cross batten additional joists atop your existing to help spread any loads and then board on top with some chipboard, filling the void with insulation as you go. Spread your books about the loft a bit rather than storing them all in a bookcase if that is what your intention is.

Regular easy access can be achieved with a good quality pull down loft ladder/ships ladder.

Insulating a loft at rafter level is a bad idea unless you can install continuous ridge vents. Otherwise there is a good chance of timber damage long term. You will also be spending cash heating your loft space. A healthy loft is a draughty loft in fact the draughtier the better. This should remove any condensation woes.

There is no point or value in getting any kind of Approval for this kind of storage.

Only following the installation of a permanent stair would Building Control become interested.

You can fit as many roof windows as you see fit. Two will provide adequate light for pottering about looking for stuff. Probably a whole lot cheaper though to just tap into your existing lighting and stick a light up there though.

There are hundreds of threads in the Floors section detailing how to board the loft for extra storage.

Many thanks to Frddymercurystwin for using your valuable time to reply to my post. The information you have given to me is very useful. However, I need a little bit of more information before making final decision for which I would be very grateful.

1. Floor Joist Size

Width – 2.5 inches, Deep – 3.5 inches

Joist Spacing between centre point of two joist
350 mm

Joist run from wall plate to wall plate and there is a partition wall between two first floor bedroom which is not brick built, not sure if it is load bearing wall.

1. Loft space to be used/stored for following:

a) Move one med size wardrobe and chester drawer with full of clothes for 2 persons to loft due to lack of adequate space in bedroom
b) Move one book self to loft (not too heavy not too light) again due to lack adequate space
c) Other items are fairly lightweight
d) Also loft space may be used for occasional computer room (laptop) mainly in the daytime so natural lighting and warmness is required
e) Finally I weigh 95 kg so it should carry my weight and possibly my wife who is not as heavy as me in case if we both need to go in the loft to look for something at same time.
My budget is very tight and any advice will be highly obliged.

Sponsored Links
Will the cross batten additional joists atop of existing to help spread any loads be enough to carry the load mentioned or do I have to strengthen by steel beam?

This Government determination may be of interest in that you would need an application under building regualtions if your using the space for anything other than maintainence of the roof.

Requirement B1: Determination of compliance in respect of alterations to the roof space of a two storey house (Ref 45/1/224)
Text of Communities and Local Government 'determination' letter dated 23 August 2006 (Reference 45/1/224)
BUILDING ACT 1984 - SECTION 16(10)(a)

DETERMINATION OF COMPLIANCE WITH REQUIREMENT B1 ("MEANS OF WARNING AND ESCAPE") OF THE BUILDING REGULATIONS 2000 (AS AMENDED) IN RESPECT OF ALTERATIONS TO THE ROOF SPACE OF A TWO STOREY HOUSE

The proposed work and question arising

4. The documentation submitted indicates that the proposed building work to which this determination relates involves alterations to enlarge and upgrade the roof space (i.e. the loft) of a three bedroom two storey terraced house to provide better storage space. The footprint area of the house is approximately 12.3m x 5.7m.

5. You advise that your client's original intention was to convert the roof space of her home to provide an additional habitable room. Although planning permission was received for the installation of roof windows to the front and side elevations and a small dormer window to the rear elevation, because the house lies within a conservation area, the planning authority would not allow either the hipped roof to be built up as a gable or for a dormer window to be constructed on the hipped end. Therefore, the space in the roof space would be limited by the roof and additionally by the subsequent positioning of the stair.

6. You state that due to the space constraints your client does not intend to use the roof space for habitable purposes, but intends to carry out building work to upgrade it in terms of structure, thermal insulation and finishes as well as providing natural light so that she may store her property in a clean and stable environment. Access will be provided by a loft ladder.

7. The above proposed work was the subject of a full plans application which was rejected by the Council on the grounds of insufficient information provided. The Council was particularly concerned that the proposed alterations to the roof space had all the appearances of providing a habitable room, was likely to be used as such, and that it was not possible to restrict its use to non habitable purposes. The Council therefore requested the "usual requirements for a loft conversion", including adequate means of escape in case of fire to achieve compliance with Requirement B1 of the Building Regulations.

8. Following a discussion with the Council, you submitted revised plans to include a fire escape roof window, a fire alarm system and door closers to the doors on the ground and first floors, but the Council continued to take the view that the provision of a fully compliant stairway was needed for the altered roof space. It is in respect of this question that you applied to the Secretary of State for a determination.

The applicant's case

9. As indicated above, you state that the proposed altered roof space would not, and could not, be used as a habitable room. For conservation reasons, the planning authority will not allow further development of the roof space which, amongst other things, would have enabled the construction of a new stair to the roof space over the existing stairway. In your view, it would not be practical to install a compliant stairway to the roof space without losing space in one of the existing bedrooms on the first floor and in the roof space. You add that even the proposed access ladder from the existing first floor landing would have limited head room.

10. You refer to one of the sketches you have submitted and advise that any stair to the roof space would need to be located adjacent to the central spine wall of the house, in either the front or rear bedroom, rising up towards the party wall. The enclosure at loft level, which you state is required under the Building Regulations, would then render the roof space unusable as a habitable room as the floor area would be too small. You, therefore, conclude that the only practical use of the altered roof space will be as storage and that a compliant stairway is not required.

11. You subsequently commented further in response to the Council's representations to the Secretary of State (see below) reiterating much of your case. You presume that the Council describes the proposed refurbished roof space as a habitable room because of the improved thermal insulation, but note that the Council has been promoting the merits of better insulation. You suggest that if a stair to the roof space was constructed as proposed by the Council the size of the roof space would be 4.26m². You state that the Housing Act 1985 deems that the minimum size for a single bedroom is 7m² and it would not be possible to provide a bed in the area in question.

12. You also comment in detail on your client's "treatment" by the Council's building control and planning departments over the past five years and refer to other developments within the conservation area, although you should note that it would not be appropriate for the Secretary of State to take these issues into account in the consideration of your case.

The Council's case

13. The Council takes the view that the matter to be decided is whether your client's proposed alterations to the existing roof space would form a habitable room. If so, as a means of achieving compliance, the Council draws attention to the guidance in paragraphs 2.17 to 2.26 of Approved Document B ("Fire safety") relating to appropriate means of escape in case of fire and the need to provide a stair in accordance with Approved Document K ("Protection from falling, collision and impact").

14. The Council notes you have stated that the area of the roof space would be too small for habitable purposes and would only be used for storage. The Council considers that, while your client may intend to use the area only for storage, it would not be possible to ensure that future use, by your client or future occupants, would be restricted to storage. The Council also notes that your client's original intention was to provide 'an additional habitable room', and takes the view that your proposal has all the appearances and attributes of such a room. Whilst the floor area is small, it could well be used for a child's bedroom or occasional guest room.

15. The Council adds that it has fully discussed your proposals with you and has suggested that an alternating tread stair could be used (as referred to in paragraph 1.23 of Approved Document K), which would have less impact on the roof space area. The Council considers that the reduction in size of an existing first floor bedroom to accommodate a stair is commonplace but in this case would still leave the bedroom with adequate floor area.

16. The Council concludes by responding to your representations about its treatment of your client and details the consideration given to her Building Regulations application.

The Secretary of State's consideration

17. The Secretary of State takes the view that the fundamental issue in this case is whether or not the proposed altered roof space should be treated as storage only or as a space likely to be used for habitable purposes by the current, or any future occupants of the building. There is no definitive way of deciding this nor is there any statutory minimum floor area for a habitable room.

18. It is important to note that the Building Regulations cannot control the use to which rooms in dwellings are put once building work has been completed. As the provisions in Part B ("Fire Safety") are designed to ensure the health and safety of people, the likely use of the roof space (e.g. by future occupants) has to be taken into account.

19. Guidance in Approved Document B, Appendix E, defines a storey as including "...a roof, unless it is accessible only for maintenance and repair". Therefore, if a roof space is being used for something other than maintenance and repair it could be considered to be a new storey. Issues that might be taken into account when considering whether the roof space is a habitable room could include its size (particularly in relation to the rest of the building), whether it has electrical services (e.g. power sockets etc), is plastered, has a stair (of any type), and, possibly, if there is a window even if the intention at the time is only for it to be used for storage.

20. The Secretary of State notes that the proposed work in your client's case includes boarded out floor, electrical services, plasterboard finished walls and three windows (two roof windows and a dormer).

21. In the case of three storey houses a protected stair should be provided - i.e. one that is enclosed in fire resisting construction with self-closing fire doors. This is designed to ensure that the occupants' means of escape is protected from the spread of fire and smoke long enough for them to be able to make their escape. Enclosing the stairway at loft level is only one method that can be used by the designer but there are others which would not utilise space in the roof space, as suggested by the Council in this case.

22. The Secretary of State therefore concludes that - following the building work your client proposes to carry out - it is a reasonable assumption that the roof space in this case is likely to be used for more than storage, if not by your client then by future occupants of the building. As such, the proposed loft ladder does not meet the functional requirements of the Building Regulations with respect to Requirement B1 relating to the means of escape and could pose a threat to the occupants, or future occupants.

The determination

23. In coming to her decision, the Secretary of State has given careful consideration to the particular circumstances of this case and the arguments presented by both parties.

24. As indicated above, the Secretary of State considers that your proposals, as submitted, do not make appropriate provision for means of escape in case of fire. She has therefore concluded and hereby determines that the plans of your proposed work do not comply with Requirement B1 ("Means of warning and escape") of Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations 2000 (as amended).

blah blah blah
Do you have a point? The council in your highlighted case thought that the applicant would be using the space as a habitable one as the work they intended to carry out seemed overkill for just storage as the applicant claimed it would be sued for. In this thread the OP is clearly wanting to use it as storage.

Anyway @ the OP, cross battening will be OK for light storage and spreading the load. why do both of you need to go up there anyway? As long as you both don't stand on the same joist you should be OK though but as mentioned there's not really enough info to comment with total conviction.

freddymercurystwin";p="2345192 said:
blah blah blah
Do you have a point?

Blah Blah Blah ! if find that very offensive

The point is if your using it for something other than mainanence of the roof then you need to apply for building regulations.

In simple terms using the roof space for storage would require a building regulations application and you would have to comply with B1 escape in case of fire and would require a stair case.

Sticking a few cases on some boards is an entirly differernt matter from whats proposed here with insilation etc.

As far as cross batterning is concerned , all your doing is adding more load to ceiling joists that may already be overstressed.

'as you both don't stand on the same joist you should be OK ' LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back