Log Burner, Building Regs J

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to interpret Building Regs J and Diagram 30, but can't quite make it say what I want it too!

I have dot and dab walls which are classed as combustible, however according to "note 1" on diagram 30

there is no requirement for protection of the wall where x is more than 150mm (x being the distance of the hearth from the wall)

can I install a log burner with combustible materials as long as the hearth is more than 150mm from the wall?

don't know if I have explained myself very clearly??!!

Would appreciate any guidance on this!

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean by distance between hearth and hearth? The critical thing is the distance between the hearth and the wall. If it's more than 150mm away from the wall the requirements don't apply.

Thanks John, that's what I meant wall to hearth! Have you experience installing a burner in that situation? i'm planning on employing a private building inspector and do the installation myself. Am I being foolish or should it be easy enough to follow the regs?

I've drawn and specified many. I can't say I've come across one where there is a gap between hearth and wall, although that wouldn't be difficult to achieve if you have space. I normally recommend working to the manufacturer's specification. All burners are different and they know best what parameters suit their product.

Sponsored Links
Attached are the photos of the finished log burner installation that I carried out myself. I employed a private Building Inspector and it has been successfully signed off. Very Happy with the results.

Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back