MAXIMUM HEIGHT FOR FENCING ON PRIVATE ROAD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi

What is the maximum height of a timber fence between two detached properties?

Presumably this is classed as a Party Fence inasmuch as the fence is between two front gardens.

The properties are not on a public highway - in fact the road is deemed Private, and is a No Through lane.

Another property further down the lane erected a fence parallel to the lane and the height is around two meters.
But you never know if they are asked to reduce the height!

I am trying to find out as I need to put up new fencing right around the front garden boundary.

I am responsible for boundary fence between the two properties.

I'll be constructing my own fencing - it will be sturdy New England style white picket fencing with
chunky posts and so on.

This is the heights I'd like to go to;

The fence between both properties: 1.75m

The rest of the fencing (three sides) that includes the fence running parallel to the lane I'd like: 1.5m

Although the fence is nowhere near a public highway, the lane would be classed as a public highway if a
road traffic accident occurred, so would 1.5m high be okay?

Likewise with party fence could I get away with 1.75m

If not, what heights would you recommend for party fence and fence that fronts the lane?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Stephen

Sponsored Links
My guess is that if the lane is used in a greater capacity than say an access lane then public highway rules apply, i.e. 1m high (solid) screen.

However it sounds as though yours is not classed as public highway? Have you consulted the Council?

For this purpose, 'highway' includes any area where the public have access.
I suspect 1m will be your height limit adjacent to the lane, though you can raise the height progressively as you move away from it.

Sponsored Links
:)

Thanks to everyone who replied.

As I would like 1.5m adjacent to the lane I'll have to contact the council.

But it's good to know that the party fence can be 1.75m.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back