Minimum door widths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am adding a new room to my house by taking down the the wall of an existing shower room and building a new stud wall on the large upstairs landing. The new wall requires two doors as it will also contain a vestibule to access the bathroom. I've got a building warrant for all this, stamped and approved. I was hoping to reuse some existing doors I've removed from around the house, and they are all 760mm wide. But on the plans the door widths are all given as minimum 775mm. Didn't even occur to me at the time as most of the doors in the house are over 800mm wide, but none of the ones I have removed for reuse are.
So my questions are firstly, is 760mm wide enough to satisfy building regs? And secondly would I get in trouble as that's not what is on the plans? I don't think the BCO would notice unless he measured it. And if it meets regs anyway would I get away with it?

Sponsored Links
760mm wide doors are certainly adequate for domestic extensions south of the border.

it depends if you have to comply with part m for disabled, in which case your door size is judged by the size of the corridor as well, normally you will have to use 838mm as opposed to 762mm

The room is upstairs, so I don't think Part M would apply? Also the corridor at that point is 2.4m wide, so you can get square on to the door.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back