Minimum Wall Thickness in Outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

A newbie on here, so please go easy.
I am having a 5m by 8m outbuilding built at the rear of my garden and would like to gain maximum internal floor space area. This will not be a living accommodation, just a room for household and garden storage. I am looking for a minimum thickness size of the walls that will satisfy building regs. I read somewhere that a 9inch solid wall (225mm) is required at the minimum. Is this correct? Please help. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the building is not more than 36 sq m in floor area, you can go down to about 100 thickness (ie one brick or block thick).

But there are specific rules, such as the need for stiffening piers, maximum roof span, tying roof to walls, and maximum sizes/positions of openings in the walls.

Google 'Approved Document A', it's all in there.

Thankyou for the prompt reply.
I took a look at the approved document and found the following information:

If the height of the wall does not exceed 3.5m and the length of the build does not exceed 12, then the minimum thickness of the wall has to no less than 190mm for the whole of its height.

What materials can I possible use to make up 190mm thickness. I was thinking 100mm Block + 70mm Insulation + 12.5mm Plaster = total 192.5mm. Your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
What will the u-value of those walls be?

U value would be 0.31.

However, I just had a reply back from my local building control:

100mm block gives you 100mm thickness.You need 190 structural thickness. Either solid double block wall or single block with piers. The 190 referred to in part A is to do with the structural wall.

Does that mean I can get away with a single block with piers? If yes is it to batten these walls to add insulation and plasterboard?

Does that mean I can get away with a single block with piers?

Yes; when you saw the bit about walls of that height and length needing to be 190 thick, you were missing the section about small annexes and outbuildings.
You can use 100 block or brick, with piers at suitable intervals, subject to certain other criteria.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back