neighbour's trespass in my garden to fix Sky cable wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this may sound petty but I find that my neighbour has jumped over my fence gate and run his cable wire along the length of his house wall and then into a hole (that he has drilled) into his kitchen. His wall can only be accessed from my garden and it runs along side my side alley and forms part of the boundary to my property. It could have been run from his front door through his house but he's gone for the easy option. I now look out at the cable wire on the wall from my living room patio. Am I within my rights to ask him to remove it and run it through the front of his house ? I plan to sell my house soon so don't want to give sellers the idea that I give the neighbour permission to enter my alley way. I had a similar problem when I found he had a gardener and window cleaner getting over my side door and jumping over the garden wall into his when I was out at work. If he says he won't remove it, can I just cut it and return it to him ? It's a bit unsightly. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
You sure it wasn't the SKY bloke, they are a law unto themselves? Be careful of getting into any disputes,, if you are about sell you are legally obliged to mentioned any disputes.

Why not just go and speak to your neighbour? That's surely what any rational person would do first isn't it?

He really should have asked your permission first.

If you'd have said no, that would have been petty...it' only a cable :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
best save up and buy a taller gate and a good padlock.

To those of you who gave me advice -thanks. To those of you who find fun how I wrote the original quote then shame on you as I am an elderly woman who is threatened by her young neighbour. I have been a good neighbour to this young couple but they are taking advantage of my niceness. To clarify, it was definitely the neighbour who told the Sky man to place it on the wall. He doesn't deny it. The alley gate door is over 7 feet high and he has a history of not asking permission. It took 2 years to get him to remove a flue vent that he placed on my side of my property from his kitchen. I have asked him about removing the cable and he has just shrugged his shoulders and says it's done. So can I just cut the wire and return it to him ? Surely this is trespass ?

As FMT said, if you are soon to sell your house, do you really want to be getting into this kind of dispute with your neighbour? Once the house is sold you've no longer got to look at the "unsightly" cable.
You will start a dispute which could potentially cause far more issues selling your house than a few metres of cable ever will.

It sounds like there is more history between you both than you are letting on...

You may well be within your rights to take your carving knife to his Sky TV cable, but what is that going to gain you other than a whole load more aggro?

From what you say it doesn't sound like your neighbour is treating you with much respect, but if I were you I'd move house and move on.

If you cut it, it's criminal damage.

I agree with the above, the guy sounds like an ass, but if you are moving on, do so. buyers wont notice a wire on a wall and draw a conclusion like you are imagining. If you start a dispute however and he starts to do things to annoy you then those would be noticable to buyers. ie bins in front of your gate or rubbish against the fence or other petty stuff.

If you're aiming to sell, DON'T get into any sort of dispute with your neighbour.
Legally you have to disclose all such disputes and they could put potential buyers off.

As a courtesy, your neighbour should have asked, but playing devils advocate it's only a cable that's attached to his property. It's not worth worrying yourself over something thats relatively trivial.

something thats relatively trivial.

This is the biggest point, the trespass is de minimis and you would have to take court action to get the cable removed if it was your wall, however I suspect that it is their wall to do with as they please.

Anyone looking to buy your house will not give a jot about the cable being there, they may however be concerned about an existing dispute with the neighbours so forget about it.
Do not make any more waves.

my neighbour has jumped over my fence gate and run his cable wire along the length of his house wall

He may well have used your garden to run his cable on his wall but for god sake, is it really worth the grief.

Let it be. When you have sold your house and contracts have been exchanged, then your last leaving present could be to cut the cable and let the new owners discover what sort of fella this neighbour is. Who knows, they might not be quite so frightened of dealing with the little twerp on a more, er, 1-1 basis ;)

Let it be. When you have sold your house and contracts have been exchanged, then your last leaving present could be to cut the cable and let the new owners discover what sort of fella this neighbour is. Who knows, they might not be quite so frightened of dealing with the little twerp on a more, er, 1-1 basis ;)
Or the neighbour immediately gets the hump with the new owner before they've even moved in you Bellend! Stick to the GD forum eh?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back