New external garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to build a garage which does not need planning permission however it does need building control. How exactly do I go about requesting this from my council, can it be done online and what paperwork is involved?

Is the paperwork still the same as a planning application with drawings etc

Thanks

Craig

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
@jamies

Rather than assuming he needed PP and how he got around it, why not start your own thread, giving us details about your situation and see if you need PP or BC approval.

If a development does not need planning permission then it does not need planning permission. Your question is not specific enough to be answered more fully.

ps Starting your own thread would be better.

I recently built a garage of 42m^2. It did not need planning permission as it was classified as PD (it was under 2.5m high and covered less than half the garden) but as it was over 30m^2 in size did need building control. You first need to find out the details of your local building control service (NOTE, this may not be the same councel which deals with planning in my case planning is with the county councel and building control with the district councel).
I downloaded and printed a form from the relivant website and filled it out and then took it to the office and applied in person along with the appropiate fee. There are two ways of applying for building control, full plans or building notice, the latter is generally more sutible for smaller projects and is what I used, no plans are needed for this. I had a discussion with the BCO about some aspects of the design I was unsure of such as foundation depth which can vary depending on local condisions.

Hello

Planning permission deals with how a building looks in it's surrounding area. Building Regulation deals with how you are going to build the structure. Detailed drawings and specification are required for Builing Regs. Inder

No my local BC department like every other one in the country allows you to do works under a Notice whereby no plans are required to be submitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back