new windows and angle iron/lintel's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

i'm haf way through repacing all the single glazing units with new double glazed units.

the house is a 1920's semi detached with 9 inch solid walls, above the windows/doors there is a course of soldier bricks, with wooden lintels spanning the opening on the internal skin

i always thought that you needed to install a lintel above any new windows to support the soldier bricks, they havent done this so far and when i asked I was advised that it doesnt need to be done in every case only if needed.

is this right, is it not mandatory for FENSA/building regs if replacing windows?

Sponsored Links
It's not mandatory, but it is necessary. A plastic frame it's not designed to support the wall above

thanks Woody,

the frames their installing are steel reinforced so i'm wondering if thats their reasoning, i'll ask them tomorrow

Sponsored Links
Placcy windows are not steel reinforced, rather they have some ally core to stiffen them slightly.

This does not make the window load bearing though.

Corner posts and the like will carry some load but only when coupled with adequate section spanning elements such as timber or steel etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back