No planning permission or building regs pitfalls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone can advise me please.

I am buying a house that had a double storey extension built in around 1982. The current seller does not have any paperwork to say that planning permission was granted or that Building Regs were passed. The current seller did not do the work it was done by the previous owner (who incdentally was a builder).

Can anyone alert me to the pitfalls, if any, of buying the property without the paperwork or should I try to obtain copies from the Council.

Also what would be the problem if for example PP was never sought and Building Regs not passed?

The current seller said he is happy to pay for an indemnity policy but does that only cover me against the lack of PP or would it cover any defective workmanship?

Or does it even matter anymore seeing as the extension is now some 20 yrs old?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
You're worrying about nothing. An indemnity is a complete waste of money, you are well beyond the time limits by when a Local Authority can prosecute for lack of PP (4 years). Just check there are no obvious structural issues ie dirty great cracks down the walls or whatever. But you would do that for any part of any property anyway.

You're worrying about nothing. An indemnity is a complete waste of money, you are well beyond the time limits by when a Local Authority can prosecute for lack of PP (4 years). Just check there are no obvious structural issues ie dirty great cracks down the walls or whatever. But you would do that for any part of any property anyway.

That is very interesting about the 4 year rule on having the work done without PP. I had imagined you would be liable but that has put my mind at ease. Do you have a source you could link me to on this law? Thanks

Sponsored Links

Whilst you are correct re the indemnity, since the vendor has offered to pay for one I would take them up on it. The reason is that it seems far more conveyancers are being silly about this kind of thing and it could affect a future sale even though there is no issue at all. If OP ever comes to sell, then a pointless box can be ticked to satisfy the future buyers conveyancer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back