Offer made on a property with an unfinished loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had an offer accepted on a Victorian house. The estate agent markets it as a three bed "+ loft room" which to me means that it is does not conform to building regs.

It has a single velux facing the rear, no dormer so on the face of it is a permitted development. There is a proper staircase leading to the first floor landing but no fire door and I don't think any fire alarms fitted.

The room is not finished (the owners are splitting up so want to sell as is) which means that the flooring has not been laid which means it may be possible to take a peek at the joists and see what work has been done IF the current owners won't tell me what has (hasn't) been done.

I wish to use the room as an office where I'll work 3 out of 5 days a week. What considerations should I keep in mind regarding regularisation? Is regularisation required to use it in this capacity or should I think about going the whole hog and add value in converting it to a "habitable" room and thus a four bedroom property?

Help would be appreciated as I'm trying to get this purchase wrapped up before Christmas.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
you need to treat it as storage space unless you can get a gtee that so far it complies other wise it will probably be more expensive as a rip it out and start again :eek:

Hi Big Al.

Would that mean that I couldn't use the space as a study from a legal and health and safety perspective? I suppose I run the risk that the floor won't support the weight.

What kind of guarantee would I seek, would a letter be sufficient? If it is all good then I suppose finishing the job should be relatively straight forward.....

Sponsored Links
Get a proper survey done, and ask for specific comment on the loft work - or just a survey of the loft.

Whilst the report should mention any non-compliance with any regulations, what you are looking for is mention of whether the work has been or has likely been done properly and whether its structurally sound.

Then you will be in position to know what work, and what costs are likley

Would calling building control alert them to this and cause a stink?

Good posts no easy option here I suppose. Depends on the cost. I'll start with my homebuyer survey and alert him to my concerns as well as calling building control and see what happens.

I would not mention anything to building control, except in the most vague terms. Eg "I'm buying a house, are there any past applications?" And then don't mention any relation to anything specific

I would not mention anything to building control, except in the most vague terms. Eg "I'm buying a house, are there any past applications?" And then don't mention any relation to anything specific

Will do. The kitchen was extended so I would like to know whether they had that signed off too which will probably give me the angle in.

Many thanks.

most councils have a website that lists all planning applications....

...therefore if you are lucky you can check without having to ring

That's Planning not Building Regulations, they're totally different.

That said I know of at least one council that has Building Regs applications online.

I called building control and they don't have anything for the loft room or the kitchen though they weren't too bothered about the kitchen saying, "if it was going to fall down already it would have" though I did notice that the lintel when they have knocked through to the out house or extended is exposed and can be seen from the outside. A number of the bricks are missing and the lintel is showing....

The vendor has told me that the joists have been strengthened and are to regulation. There's plumbing up there for the radiator that is fitted. There is some insulation but it sounds like it isn't to regulation. There is no fire proofing. The walls have not be plastered yet.

In my mind this means that this may be a little easier to make good and bring in line with building regs though I may be well off course. I would like to be able to make use of the room as a bedroom in the long run.

That's Planning not Building Regulations, they're totally different.

That said I know of at least one council that has Building Regs applications online.

That's right, I checked planning and found nothing for the property over the last 6 or so years but as this is a permitted development so it won't appear under planning.

Building control helped as I mentioned above.

If you want to regularise then you may aswell contact BC, not doing so serves no purpose.

It does.

Once informed of unauthorised work, especially involving the life safety issues of a loft, then they may decide or be obligated to investigate and slap a contravention notice on it. So instead of sorting it out later, it will need more urgent action ....... let alone scupper the sale

And how many times does that happen?

If the OP wishes to know if there was any legal works done its the only sure way to find out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back