Opinions - Large extensions to house which order to do work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We’re in the process of purchasing a new house for which we have some big plans, but I’d like a bit of feedback from those with more knowledge/experience in planning to see if what we’re thinking is plausible and if there is a correct order in which to do the work/applications.

I’ve attached a picture from the local planning authority map which hopefully with give a better idea of what I’m talking about. (The house is the one marked “1” in the centre of the picture).

View media item 49439
It’s a rectangular 2 storey house (built late 70s), with a single storey garage and utility room (built in early 80s) to the top right hand side of the building – this is flush with the front of the property, and about 2m in from the back of the property.

Please forgive my drawing skills, but the green lines on the picture are the building outlines for what we are planning, but not necessarily all at the same time due to funds:

1. Build a single storey extension approximately 3m deep across the rear length of the original house (excluding the garage & utility).
2. Demolish the existing garage and utility and replace with a 2 storey extension approximately 7m wide and 8m long. This would be a double garage and kitchen downstairs and 2 extra bedrooms upstairs. The roof would be pitched/tiled to meet the existing roof.
3. Render the entire property in white. Currently its red brick, with a 3m stone feature running up the front of the property.

Although the new buildings come close to the right hand boundary, the adjoining building is the neighbour’s detached double garage rather than their house.

The house isn’t in a conservation area. Other houses in the street have built double garages, and the neighbouring property to the right has built a 2 storey extension with a pitched roof, although this is only about 3.5m wide (single garage width) so not as big as we’re planning. No other properties in our style of house on the street have been rendered, but the properties on the facing street (no. 53 & 63 on the left of the map) have been rendered.

I’m hoping that the no.1 plan of the single storey extension shouldn’t throw up too many planning issues, it might fall under Permitted Development Rights, but I’m not sure if that’s removed because of the garage/utility extension There is nothing I can find to indicate PDR has been withdrawn.

I think that no.2 plan will be the controversial one as its quite big, and near the boundary. I wish for the new extension to follow the design of the previous garage – which is flush with front of the property. As the new extension will be twice as wide, I am assuming this means I’m bringing forward the property line.

No. 3 (the rendering) I understand not to be an actual planning issue, providing we consider the insulation. We plan to have cavity wall insulation done, and then render. The reason that I added it in is because I thought it could be cheaper to build the extensions out of block rather than brick, if it was then to be rendered. However, on reading some planning apps, it states that any new structures should be made out of matching materials of the existing property so I wasn’t sure if the rendering of the property then gets considered as part of the aesthetics of the proposal.

Thanks for sticking with me so far. So here’s my questions:

1. Should I put in a planning application for all 3 items in one go? Or
2. Should I put in a planning application for no.2 (the double storey) and then a later application (or just do it under PDR) for no.1 once the large extension is complete?
3. Should no.2 (double extension) be flush with the front of the house, or might the planning people look more favourably if it was set back from the original house a bit?
4. Should I render the existing house first, then apply for the extensions to be build? Or
5. Some other course of action?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Andy

Sponsored Links
Decide what you want to do and apply for everything at once. It makes no difference, and there is no advantage in applying piecemeal as everything will be assessed in context of that is already there

Before doing so, you need to check your local planning policy to see what is and is not allowed, and submit a design that conforms. If they don't like it, you can alter it

You need to decide what you want to do with rendering, as any planning approval will include the materials to be used

Yeah, I suppose so. Thanks Woody.

I was just wondering if there was anything that jumped out to the more experienced folk as a planning no no.

Nothing glaringly obvious, I would expect you would need to set it back from the existing, woodtop has sent you away to check the local plan which will give a greater indication of its likelihood for support or not. Size may be an issue depending on the location and the local plan guidance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks matey.

Been having a read of the local council website, and as you say, the size might be an issue.

The local statement says that he extension must be minor relative to the overall size of the existing property. It's the definition of what is classed as 'minor' that's missing.

Without measuring properly, I'm looking to add around 30-40% extra to the footprint.

I would think 30-40% would be OK, its usually within green belt areas or similar where they are keen to restrict the increase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back