Parking regs? advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

got a question that I am not sure where to go to ask the right people.. so i was wondering if i may ask on here and get some advice

the problem is this

next door have 2 transit vans, 1 car, 3 land rovers,1 range rover and a 14t recovery truck outside on the residentual road and on his front drive

the problem is this

he has moved his landrover one evening right up against the back of my car, with less than an inch of a cap! he did this late one evening buy pushing it??? i know this as i saw him silently lock it up but his indicator/orange flashing lights got my attention, when he locked it back up. but it was not until i went to get into my car for work the next morning i noticed he has taken up what very little space I once had to get out. And I thought.. hold on, I did not hear it start up.. you know it when he does! being a v8 jobby

so now for me to drive off to work i have to first get into my wifes car.. a clio.. reverse it back 3 feet, move my car ( a vauxhall safira ) away down the road.. and then re locate my wifes car back to her original spot, so not to upset my other neighbour on my other side, as they have a drop curb.

my question is this.. :rolleyes:

is he or anyone else allowed to park in such a way to make it almost impossible for me to use my car. let alone to open the boot to get the kids school bags out! what law or regs are there to help me ask him to understand my concerns and allow me access to use my car.

because of all the cars and vans and trucks and off roaders that he has.. i would guess he needs the space to get any or all the cars in or out of his driveway.. but i think he finds this a struggle as his 2 vans and 14t+ truck take up space on the opposite side of his and my property on the public road! so he is pushing me out from what is a public road for his own needs.

I am just wondering what I can do?

if anything :confused:

any advise would be fab
ps apparently he has a goods licence for his 14t + truck. but I am not sure

he is just like a school bully! and I am simply too old to be a victim of a bully's needs. and happy to confront him ;)

hence the advice needed, as my local council are closed for the weekend

cheers all for reading this

Sponsored Links
If his vehicles have tax on them then he can park anywhere. He can even park over your drive way if you don't have a car on it, but if you do have a car on your drive and he blocks you in then you are allowed to call the police who will give him a ticket.

But good luck with this one.

Andy

Unless he runs a business from home there's not a lot you can do (unfortunately), if he does - then call the council.

you did not mention if you had parked your car outside his house, or if he pushed his outside yours.

It has no legal effect, sonce neither of you owns the road, but lots of people get offended by someone else's car outside their house.

Sponsored Links
is he or anyone else allowed to park in such a way to make it almost impossible for me to use my car. let alone to open the boot to get the kids school bags out

Have never heard of any regulations on this and it would be next to impossible to prove who had been there first in any case.

If you are not worried about facing the guy, why not simply ask him why he was so unnneighbourly as to deliberately block you in ?

cheers for all your thoughts

and yes I am fully aware that the road is everyones to use, but he is restricting the use of my car! hence asking the question on here

and no i do not park in front of his house.. ( but this is due to the fact that he has all his cars n vans parked there to start with) but he is now pushing my right as a road user ( as he is ) to be able to park anywhere.. to where I have to park to be able to use my car? which means 50 mtrs + down the road out of sight from my home! which then upsets someone else as they have my car outside their house!!!
all because he has all his cars and vans everywhere!!
all the neighbours comment on him.. and how he seems to control the road and the parking? but I am left with the shovel to have to deal with it!

hence my OP

life would be so much simpler if he had 2 or 3 cars just like everyone else!
i might just buy a few more cars.. and do the same to him...

but wait a min.. I am not a tawt with a big ego, I am just a guy with 4 young kids and a wife and we have a need for 2 cars.

if he is parking a large commercial vehicle in a residential street, you could ask the council. Some have bylaws against it.

hey there

yes I am going to make a call or 2 in the week and find out what I can.

cheers for reminding me

The law changed in June 2011 so that all vehicles must also be insured while parked on a public highway. You can check anyones reg on the MID database.

Pete

many thanks for the info

i will have a look now the otherhalf is watching the X-flactor

and get back to you, but upon looking over the website, i think i will need to send a letter and photo proof and let them have a look over the info i send

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back