Part H Pipe run under foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Firstly thanks for such a useful website. I have searched the forums but can't find an answer so thought I would post here.

2.25 on P14 of Part H states "A drain trench should not be excavated lower than the foundations of any building nearby (see Diagram:cool: unless [trench is filled with concrete]."

However Diagram 8 shows a pipe run that is parallel to the wall of a building.

I am running a drain from the middle of the house to a flank wall under the foundations but perpendicular to the wall rather than parallel to it for the outside wall and at 45 degrees to an inside load-bearing wall.

Does this part of the Regs apply to the above?

Sponsored Links
Whether a drain is perpendicular or parallel to the concrete found's is irrelevant.

As long as that drain passes through or is close enough to be affected by the found's then the found's will need to be deeper than the drain invert.

We had to dig down 8 feet on one occasion due to this rule, the photos are on this very forum!

Thanks for the reply.

What worries me is that the trench which is little more than 30 cm wide and 80 cm deep with a non-load bearing wall between the main walls as well as a gas and electricity pipe traversing it is making excavation a long job.

Trench is 20 cm below base of foundation. I have decided to leave the clay directly below the foundation until the cement is nearly ready to pour.

Is there a risk of subsidence or am I worrying too much?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back