Part M- WC Provision in Entrance Storey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone can clarify the below for me.

I'm from Ireland and here our building regs are pretty similar to the UK ones.
However in the Irish Part M regs you have to provide a 1200*750mm clear area parallel to the side or perpendicular to the front of any guest/visitable WC's for wheelchair transfer or if the entrance level is <45m2 then the door can be left open. As per pages 118-120 of our Part M 2010. Follow link to download our document here http://www.environ.ie/en/Publicatio...g/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,24773,en.pdf

In the UK Part M- all there appears to be is for the guest WC to have the requirement that a wheelchair can approach straight on or from oblique access. As per page 72 of your Part M.

Assuming its a new build apartment and not for social/affordable housing would I be right in saying so that as long as the frontal access requirement is met with that it is complies with regulations. i.e. no sideways transfer area is required.

Or if not can anyone provide a link to alternative guidelines/regulations stating otherwise.

Sponsored Links
The actual Building Regulations will say something like "shall be suitable", and you seem to be referring to the Approved Documents, which merely give one or two ways of meeting the Building Regulations.

Therefore the concept of Part M is that disabled people (including wheelchair users) can get access. So if your design can meet/prove this, then it will be acceptable

I'm slightly confused by what you are asking. Is this house in Ireland or UK? If UK then there is no requirement to park a wheelchair within the wc.

Sponsored Links
Sorry should have clarified it's a private new build apartment in London.

That's my reading of the UK approved documents alright; that the guest/entrance WC cubicle doesn't need space for a wheelchair beside it- only to the front of it.

I just thought I may be missing something because it has been a requirement in Ireland since 2000 which means typically all our guest WC cubicles need to be approx 1.5*2.2m to comply whereas with the UK reg's it appears a cubicle 1.0*1.5m would be sufficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back