Party wall agreement to remove chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a 1930's semi-d house and my neighbours property is being renovated the builders turned up today. From a brief conversation my girlfriend had with the builder they said they are going removing the chimney breasts in all two downstairs lounges and two up stairs bedrooms, the chimney breasts are the shared wall between the house, I have not removed my chimney breasts.

Does my neighbour have to provide me with a Party Wall agreement legally to remove the chimney breasts ? Also what can I do now to protect myself from them damaging my property, should I ask to see a building reg sign off certificate for the work ?

I'm not out to cause trouble with them just want to make sure I'm protected, the builder couldnt talk much english so slightly concerned they might no follow the correct processes as they don't know them. I have a feeling they might even start this job today Thursday 1st March.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes you should have been served a PW notice for this type of work. To stop it, you would need to get an injunction from the court.

B/regs would also apply, but you don't have any rights to see any certificates. But you can inform the council if you suspect works are not being done via an application - and you would be wise to do this

Your rights are not reduced, as the neighbour is still liable for any damage. Proof of condition now would help with any future claim - eg a survey report or photos

This work is risky as it is, and if the builder can't speaka da lingo, I would be very concerned

Hi guys,

Rather than start a new thread, i'll just ask a question on this one as its about chimney breasts. (if its not ok i'll start a new topic).

I have had a quote from a chimney breast removal company - dont know if im allowed to name names here. they sound like a well established hotel chain ;)

anyway, the quote ive had is just shy of £2000 for installing RSJ's in the loft and supporting the stack and getting building control sign off.

Does this sound like a reasonable price?

ill be removing the actual chimney breasts, making good the walls and floors etc.

thanks

p.s. im in Birmingham btw

Let the market tell you, get two more quotes and ask for recommendations from friends and neighbours too. You might wish to check your local trading standards 'Buy with Confidence' scheme website for reputable contractors as this will give you added security against duff builders. Also tell the quoters that you are a getting other quotes, should make them more competitive, price wise.

Sponsored Links
It really depends what work is involved in the loft

Does the £2k include council and engineers fees. And then there is the PW issue and fees for that

Its £1350 + VAT for the supply and fit of the steel beams, struct eng calcs and anything else that needs doing.

Plus £225 + VAT for Building Control.

Thye will install two beams in the loft to support the chimney breats. There are two seperate stacks. The chimney breasts remaining below will remain intact - I will remove these myself.

You really need a few more quotes

Also be sure that the quote is indeed "all in". You don't want them coming back and saying "Oh the BCO wanted a different steel, so the engineer had to recalculate it and so we want an extra £500"

And also what about repairs to ceilings after trapsing around the loft?

The quote covers drawings and SE calcs. Supply & Fit of the correct steel beams and BC sign off.

They have sent me a contract which says they will cover any breakages and if BC dont sign off they will do whatever is necessary to achieve sign off.

50% to be paid on the day they start/turn up and the remainder to be paid on satisfactory completion.

Once i have removed the chimney breasts below the steels a builder will be adding the extra floor joists and floor boards.

I will be plastering the walls and ceilings to make good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back