Permitted development & Planning permission.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I plan on adding a front and rear dormer to my semi detached 1 storey house. It's very common in the area.

On the Councils planning website I found an identical house a couple of streets down who got approval for a back box dormer (50% width roughly) and 2 Hip front dormers.

If I keep the rear dormer under 50% of the roof width it will fall under the new 'Permitted development' rules.

The front dormer will face a road so will need planning permission I think.

When I apply for planning permission for the front Dormer do I need to include the back dormer detail in the plans?

If so, would I be better trying to get the back slightly bigger as I'm having to apply anyway?

cheers for any advice!

Sponsored Links
If you are applying, apply for as much as possible - they can only knock you back to whatever could be done under PD.

If you decide to keep the rear dormer to the PD size limits, still put it on the plans as then it formalises it and avoids queries later

cheers Woody.

If I were to apply for a box dormer on the front aswell and they knocked it back. Could I amend and resubmit the Hip dormer under the same application or would it be a new application?

You can alter an application, but if it is a significant alteration such as a completely different dormer on a different part of the roof, then the planners will need to re-consult and the decision date will be postponed

Alternatively, they may even ask you to withdraw the application and resubmit as a revised scheme

Sponsored Links
Cheers

It's hard to know what I'll get away with. The surrounding streets are a real mixed bag. I've attached some images.

I'm pretty sure I'd get away with 2 Hips at the front like in the first pic.

The Dormers above the Bay window would give a lot more room.

Would there be a big difference in price between a Hip and the type above the Bay Window?

I can't understand how the local planners have let those dormers be built. :eek:

Whilst the would be no precedent in planning, and past bad decisions are not a reason to make further bad decisions, you may have a good argument that the street could not look any worse with another dormer like those

The amount of awkward work will determine the cost of either dormer type. I can't see one being that much more than another of a similar size. The amount detailing (such as leadwork or structural support) would make a difference though

Cheers!

Yeah, some are really bad. It's funny, you don't notice it much until you start studying them.

I think I'll get estimates for 2 variations of the front.
2 smaller Hip dormers & The larger Bay dormer and a Velux.

When I have the drawings done I'll post again.

cheers for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back