Pitched roof angle issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all can anyone shed some light on this for me please ??

We had a small (6ftx6ft) extension built at the end of our garage back in 2004 instead of just extending the flat roof we decided to put a pitched roof over - we have now sold the house and found we don't have a completion cert for the work done (all planning permission was received and inspections done) i've just had the planning officer out to sign the work off and he isn't happy with the pitch on the roof being at 10* he wants me to rip a perfectly good roof of and replace it with one at 14* before he will sign the work off. :evil:

Just wondering if any one has any experience or knowledge in this before I try to find a roofer at short notice to replace the roof ??
The problem I have is obviously time with the house being sold but I don't see why I should be taking it off.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you're getting Planning and Building control a little mixed up, anyhoo no matter.

It is not uncommon for Building Control to refuse to accept tiles that have been laid to a fall they have not been designed for. Planning restrictions aside, you could consider replacing the tiles with an alternative material that does work down to 10° rather than increasing the pitch. I suspect you will have pointed out to the inspector that the inside is nice and dry, surely testament that the roof is working OK but the roof may be leaking already and maybe the membrane beneath the tiles is actually doing the job of keeping the rain out? Technically a roof with a pitch of 10° is so flat it is actually classed as a flat roof btw. You can try and persuade your inspector in some way (I'm not sure how) or talk to his superiors but if he wants to be awkward I'm not sure what else you can do.

You won't be able to get an indemnity now either as I believe that is no longer an option once the Local Authority become involved.

Do you know how strongly the buyers may feel about this issue if at all? Sometimes solicitors can just get in the way! It may be worth opening a reasoned dialogue with them direct if possible.

As a side point was this done by a builder, were there drawings, was he paid to achieve a Building Regs Certificate? Ultimately it is the homeowners responsibly but there may be cause for redress if he was responsible and this really messes things up!

Sponsored Links
Pay about £100 for conveyance indemnity insurance instead - much cheaper and less agro.

Ask your legal advisor

If you really can't persuade the BCI he is being a tool, my advice is re lay with appropriate tiles. Forticrete Centurian go down to about 8° from memory. Bit of a pain but it's only a small area and will get the problem resolved.

You need the Completion Cert for the purchaser to complete, solicitors wont sign off without and mortgage lenders wont lend without

So you'd think, the reality is mortgage lenders and solicitors do miss things. There are tens of thousands of original build houses across the UK built since the 90's that are occupied and have been resold, some several times over without completion/final certificates. Lots of these have warranties as well![/quote]

Why do you not throw the tiles in the skip, re-board it and treat it as a flat roof. ie felt it or fibre glass it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back