Planing Application Advice

No offence taken, after all i could do with other idea's...

My neighbour is fine with the idea - i have already spoken to him..

cant do a loft conversion as the roof is not high - as i understand you can not build above the existing roof line..

Sponsored Links
so is there anyone here that does these drawings for a living...?

you rear elevation looks incorrect. the existing roof will not be able to continue to the eaves of the first floor extension.

The height of the new ridge will depend on the rear elevation, so the height that you have showen it on the side elevation may be wrong.

What do you plan on designing where you have the chamfered corner on the first floor?

you mean the angle in the wall? that is there so that the neighbour still has his 45degree line of sight from his window.

unsure how to correct the roof - so hoping they ill tell me tommrow when i go to the councils office in the am.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure how useful this advice will be, but someone has to be able to actually build the thing, and its not just a case of putting a few lines on a bit of paper

amm, ya..my last builder did not look at the plans when he built the ground floor extension.

im getting nothing but -ve feed back here...

wow..i was told this forum is great and there are architects here who like to help people... :eek: did i say help...who helps who these days ..its all about the money!

You read that local plan yet, that'll tell you in black and white what will and won't get approved by your planners. Thought not! :rolleyes:

we have tried to help, and as FMT says, that'll be £550 + planning fee and all you worries will be gone! We cannot help you on here to correctly draw the rear elevation of an extension that (probably) none of us would have designed!

You may have spoken to someone at the LPA, but once you submit plans, they may fall onto someone esles desk and they not have the same opinion. It does look a bit like over-development of the site, and as mentioned previously, the roof might be awkward to design/build. You are not looking for help on here, actually, what help do you want? what do you want us all to tell you?

Sam, it's not that people don't want to help. A lot of help is given on this forum every day with no issue. But there's a big difference between helping with a problem or point of planning law and coming up with a complete design. From the very start you were given advice that it might be considered 'bulky' and 'incongruous' - etc. Did you not notice the quote marks? Those aren't just opinions - they are standard text that planning departments cut and paste into nearly every planning application they refuse. The advice was good and you could have tried to work out ways to avoid the dreaded 'incongruous' - which is probably the planners most favouritist word. But instead you chose to react. Which made it sound like you know better.

You were also told to look at the local plan and local design guides. Also good advice. If your design does not comply with local plan and other supplementary guidance it will not be approved. You were also told not to rely too much on advice from the planning desk. That's also good advice. I can 100% assure you that any conversation you had at the council means nothing. They have no idea whatsoever if your idea fits with the locial plan and guidance or is acceptable on the site until they have full design plans and have visited site. So it was very good advice - but instead you chose to go with your own view that you've spoken to the council and you are basically home and dry bar the details.

So, you come here looking for advice and when you get it you ignore it and complain that you got no advice. Or is it a case of the advice was not what you wanted to hear.

Sam, this is a very useful forum with some excellent people who have a wide spread of knowledge.

The thing is though you have to help yourself if you want to be helped by

1) Do some reading as suggested. Actually read guidance from your local panning dept and then ask specific questions if you aren't clear on something.

People have told you on a number of occassions that the sort of informal chat you've had is worthless. You need to take heed.

2) You don't want to pay £550 for somebody to do the drawings but you can't expect people to actually do your drawings for free. Some advice can be given of course but it will be limited given that people are busy and only so much can be done on the internet.

The basic issue imho is this. It's fine if you want to do the drawings yourself and save the dosh, but it will mean quite an investment of time and effort for you to do the relevant background reading/research.

Then and only then if you are stuck can people here help guide you.

I am not a professional in this field but have basically 'designed' my extensions in terms of planning and some structural issues. HOWEVER I have spent hours upon hours upon hours researching and trying to understand the concepts. (more because I'm a control freak rather than saving money)
People on here have then been very helpful when I've got stuck or haven't understood something.

No offence, but I get the impression that you aren't prepared to put the effort in yourself but then don't want to pay either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back