Planning condition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had some planning permission approved,its for a rear extension but it has a condition attached stating no work shall be carried out before 7.30 and no later than 6pm also on saturday after 1pm. I intend doing a fair bit of work myself being a plumber so this is going to be a right pain for me. Does anyone know if this is strictly enforceable. We live in a cul de sac and ours is a small detached house.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Why has the Council stipulated this condition? Unless it's a Council policy where you are, it seems unusual to put work-time limits on domestic extensions.
You can always appeal a Condition, but that takes time and money. Personally I don't think work-time for a domestic extension is a valid planning issue. For example; if your extension did not need planning permission but came under permitted development, the planning department would have no say at all.

This is probably an Environmental Health/Control of Pollution issue and if any neighbour complained, officials from that department would look into it as they would be better qualified to judge whether or not you were causing a nuisance.
Personally, I'd just get on with it and work what you believe to be reasonable hours.

Site working times can be a valid condition to protect amenity of adjacent buildings, but only normally if the area is sensitive to noise or building operations

A test of validity is whether the condition is enforceable. It would be debatable how this condition can be enforced

And what would happen if you did work outside the hours .... by the time the planning system got moving, you might be finished. And there would be no penalties

Thanks for replies we live in tameside recently moved there, the guy that did the plans for me said he is going to question it he said he has never had it on domestic work, I am inclined to agree with what has been said and just work reasonable hours and see what happens.

paul

Sponsored Links
The local authority don't really care what hours you work. The condition is just a remedy in case of complaints about noise, traffic or some other nuisance at unreasonable times. So if it's just you working in your house and you are not being noisy or unreasonable I can't see it being a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back