Planning Limits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I have another thread asking about extending the loft - either as hip to gable, or hip to gable and dormer.

//www.diynot.com/forums/building-regs-planning/some-research-for-later-work-loft-stairs.340981/

On that thread it was mentioned, that the above work can be done under permitted development rights so long as its of a certain volume or below.

Now thinking about this, in the future i am considering the following works (not necessarily in this order or at the same time!)

Rebuild of existing garage and workshop to a single garage at rear of the property.

Replace Front porch

Loft conversion to a room,

Rear extension to the property

Dig out a basement under the property (and possibly the rear extension) for use as living space.

Given the total volumes involved, i would assume that this would not go under permitted development as a total, but also would impact me doing some of the work as permitted development/ the prior permitted development would/could count against a planning application?

Would it be better to carry out all works under planning? if so what order (assuming money isn't the issue) is it best to apply for the planning for each part? or is it worth going all in as a one hit wonder?

Also has anyone got any experience of basements (not a conversion from a cellar!) either planning or carrying out the work?

Sponsored Links
All of what you described could well be done as permitted development (either singly or together) subject to the published limits for each class of work.
The total volume of additions has no relevance, except for lofts.

All of what you described could well be done as permitted development (either singly or together) subject to the published limits for each class of work.
The total volume of additions has no relevance, except for lofts.

Thanks!

Looks like i need to get hold of the Permitted Development guidelines and start reading!

How old is the house? You will also need to check whether or not your PD rights have been taken away by the council, you may find this in your deeds, or you may need to ask the council.

Also, conservation areas/national parks etc have more restrictions.

Sponsored Links
House was built 1930's and as far as i can tell, nothing is in the deeds about permitted development rights. (only just got the keys yesterday so have a copy of the deeds to hand!)

Will defo check with the council before carrying out any work, but may as well start reading up on it so i know what i can do when i start!

dont forget any extensions since 1948 come off your allowance

Thanks for that link big-all,

certainly useful for thinking though design ideas etc to ensure we stay on the right side of requirements!!!

I assume you spend some time in your day looking at these and i guess planning applications? Do you know if its common to apply for and get permission to essentially knock down and rebuild a house? (assuming mortgage company etc are willing)...

Seems sometimes its cheaper to demolish and start again then to try and make a current building thermally efficient etc!

woodys your man along with others i am just a humble bench joiner :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back