Planning Permission denied -Certificate of Lawfulness issued

Even if I am aware of the dimensions that have been accepted, I wouldn't be able to judge from just looking up at the build, being 3 storeys up whether the dimensions have been inflated.

So if it looks the same why would it bother you?

Because it will block even more sky than it legally should. So many loft conversions around my garden, it's like living in the middle of a wood of tall trees.

Also windows easily look into my kitchen.

I find that really difficult to picture. How can dormer windows that face the rear look into your kitchen?

Sponsored Links
I think this is all part of making the choice to live in a city like London.

I don't think it's got anything to do with living in London. Some of the most cramped and overcrowded housing I've ever seen has been outside of London

Well I wouldn't have used the term overcrowding but I am sure other cities like London also have gardens which are overlooked. If you buy a house in a city like London then you are going to have to expect some loss of privacy. Similarly if you buy a house next to a road, you are going to have to accept some noise. If the garden is 'surrounded' by loft conversions then it seems reasonable that another might get built.

Or you could buy a house in the country but it's a bit stinky out there today as the farmer is moving muck. Some people complain but I don't have time for them myself, they should go buy a house in the city.

Sponsored Links
Well when I made the choice to live here, was 28 years ago and planning was stricter on certain issues, such as loft conversions. How was I to know this is how things were going to go.

Well I wouldn't have used the term overcrowding but I am sure other cities like London also have gardens which are overlooked. If you buy a house in a city like London then you are going to have to expect some loss of privacy. Similarly if you buy a house next to a road, you are going to have to accept some noise. If the garden is 'surrounded' by loft conversions then it seems reasonable that another might get built.

Or you could buy a house in the country but it's a bit stinky out there today as the farmer is moving muck. Some people complain but I don't have time for them myself, they should go buy a house in the city.

I take your general point but I just can't see how rear dormers could look into a kitchen. Unless the kitchen extends far beyond the original rear wall of the house.

Well when I made the choice to live here, was 28 years ago and planning was stricter on certain issues, such as loft conversions. How was I to know this is how things were going to go.

Well you have to make educated guesses. We always consider the potential of development when we buy property and will not purchase if we feel its likely there is totally undesirable development possible.

We have got it wrong in the past (actually development was permitted when it shouldn't have been) and so moved house across the street.

Planning guidance changes with the times and as shown recently when the green belt was considered to be under threat you need to lobby the crooks you elect to govern you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back