Planning Permission in Green Belt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - I was wondering if anyone could advise me. My parents have quite a substantial garden with roadside frontage and we are thinking of building a house on it. The village in which they live is green belt - am I right in thinking the chances of getting planning are virtually none unless we build some sort of affordable housing. I haven't really looked into this but would it be a good idea to contact the local planning office or would it maybe be a good idea to consult some sort of planning consultant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Hi there - I was wondering if anyone could advise me. My parents have quite a substantial garden with roadside frontage and we are thinking of building a house on it.
The village in which they live is green belt - am I right in thinking the chances of getting planning are virtually none
Unless it’s within the local plan boundary, less than virtually none.
unless we build some sort of affordable housing.
Won’t make any difference as far as I’m aware.

I haven't really looked into this but would it be a good idea to contact the local planning office
They will confirm if it’s within or outside the local plan boundary & what type of land it is but green belt, arable, grazing, pony paddock, woodland, pasture land or whatever are all regarded the same as far as development goes as far as I’m aware. At least you may get confirmation of their stance as regards any planning application.

You could try sticking a (not capable of being moved) mobile home/caravan on it, hope nobody dobs you in & have another go after it’s been there 5 years but you need to prove it; even then the chances are pretty slim. I’ve got a mate with a bungalow & 2 acres with a private access road been trying various ruses to build another one there for nearly 20 years & he’s within the local plan boundary!

or would it maybe be a good idea to consult some sort of planning consultant.
You’ll just be throwing your money away.

Some light reading for you;
http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/pps7

Richard - thank you for getting back to me . (Beoley is the name of my parent's village )

I have been looking on the internet and found the following:-

Village Envelope
BE1 A Village Envelope is identified for Beoley and indicated on the Proposals Map. Within this envelope the relevant County Structure Plan policy (H17[d]) and Local Plan policies (DS2[d], DS5 and S9[d]) will apply limiting residential development to suitable infill plots.

28.1 The District Council has adopted a settlement policy within this Plan designed to guide development to the most appropriate urban areas and to limit building in the Green Belt. The District Council recognises there are a number of settlements of appropriate form and size where an infill policy would allow for limited development without discernible damage to the principle of Green Belt protection. Beoley is considered to fall within the scope of this policy.

Am I right in thinking that I might have a case for building a property if it is deemed to be a suitable infill plot - or is this just wishful thinking!

Your post didn’t get the response I would have normally expect from some of the well informed folk who normally hang out in planning so I thought I would chip in with the limited experience I have. You’ve obviously moved on a bit & done some research of your own which is really the only way forward. Green belt is very much sacrosanct but if you fall into a lesser category, it can very much depend on your local authority. In your case, it’s seems your LA may be sympathetic to infill development which is worth a punt & is why you should approach & discuss your proposal with your LA in the first instance. A marginal planning app (at least at the first stage) very much depends on who sits on the committee; they are not professionals as far as planning goes & very often go against the recommendations of their own planning officers who know far more about planning law & their decision often gets overturned on appeal if the applicant has the will to persue it.

We are outside the local plan but are not green belt & there have been at least 4 infill development properties built in my village in the last 8 years which did surprise me, especially after all the agro I had with my extensions! Don’t get too wound up about local (neighbour) & Parrish Council objections. They will most likely huff & puff as they, probably rightfully, want to maintain the “village environment” as they know it but emotional objections (usually) carry little weight with the local planning authority.

Planning applications can be a bit like playing bingo; just go along to your LA committee meetings (usually one a month) & you will see what I mean. You can learn a lot about the mentality of those involved & the hypocrisy of it all but local influences can make getting approval a tremendous challenge even when there appears to be no reason it should not be given. The friend I mentioned earlier is also a property developer &, despite winning many other approvals on appeal, has been trying for 20 years to get approval for his bungalow but it is a backland development which can be even more tricky. Another friend of mine recently got PP for an extension after 4 years & 5 submsissions but even that had to be "fixed"; but that's another story!

Sponsored Links
Richard - thank you so much again for your help - all of it is very helpful.
One thing I don't understand is this local plan - what does it mean if your property falls within the local plan? I have tried googling it but am not getting very far!

Every Local Authority publishes a 'Local Plan', (eg http://www.falkirk.gov.uk/services/...local_plan/falkirk_council_download_page.aspx ) broadly speaking this is a document written to show how the where development can take place and what they will encourage/discourage. Normally these can be found online although sometimes not always where you would expect, if you cannot find it phone your planning department and ask to be directed towards it. If we knew your LA we could maybe have a look when we get some spare time.

Local development plans were drawn up by LA’s some years ago (cant remember how many). It’s a boundary line showing the areas where development will be allowed, subject to normal planning regulations/restrictions. If you fall outside this boundary line then life gets a whole lot more difficult & even getting permission for an extension can prove challenging.

Found these links for you, hopefully I got the right area;
http://www.cartogold.co.uk/bromsgrove/index.htm
http://www.cartogold.co.uk/bromsgrove/bromsgrove.htm

Edit; I see FMT has come up with some info for you as well. ;)

Richard -yes the LA is Bromsgrove and I found this last night but it didn't make much sense to me - my parent's house falls within the blue boundary which is marked as the village envelope. Does this mean its falls within the local plan? Nicky

Had a little look & although the village is in green belt, the LA policy statement indicates that infill development may be allowed within the village envelope so you may be onto a winner. Your next stage would be to get confirmation of this & discuss what may or may not be approved with you local planning office.

I will get in touch with the planning office and see how I get on!

I would just like to say again thank you for finding the time to get back to me - I really appreciate it!

Nicky

The green belt does not mean that absolutely no development can take place, its just that it is more tightly controlled as to what will be acceptable

It all depends on the local plan which the council have published

There is currently a housing shortage, so that may be a bargaining point for infill plots or hew housing in general. But the council will not let that be the overriding factor. It all comes down to how you present your argument

Hi there - its me again! Have spoken briefly to the council and am going to put in a pre-planning application. Was wondering if anyone out there has done 1 of these before and could give me any pointers. I know that they would want much detail as possible. Should I scrutinize the local planning framework and pick up on the clauses which justify my claims? etc

Also does anyone think that the following would hold any weight in the Council's decision:-
Am going to propose that we build a 1 storey building - one in which my elderly parents(whose garden the dwelling will be built in) could live in. Their current property has no upstairs bathroom and is really unsuitable for elderly people. Were they to move house they would not be able to afford a suitable property within the village.
Is this worth persuing?

Nicky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back