planning permission query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My dad owns some old barns that are on green belt land, the barns are not listed. Does anyone know if there would be much chance of getting them turned into a house? And if yes, what would be the chance of being allowed to knocking them down and building them again from scratch (the walls were built out of rubble and would cost far too much to try to repair them/put damp proofing in etc. I have been told)

Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Mic

Sponsored Links
You've got less chance of doing that, than I have of winning the Euro lottery tonight

In fact, If I do win, I'll build you both some new houses

It is not very usual that councils will allow building on green belt land - and less likely that they will allow building new market housing on land that is part of an agricultural holding unless it is for purposes necessary to the working of the land etc. (ie - a new house for the farmer, or barn for hay etc.)

However, this will be a case where you will need to consult with the local authority policies on building on green belt land. You should be able to find the policy document on your local council website. Once you've seen what they have to say you should go in to have an informal discussion with the local planning department to discuss the policies and how they affect you as well as any further issues or expectations that may affect such a development.

From a financial point of view, a new build house rather than a conversion may be better as new build housing has 0% VAT whilst conversions do not. This alone is often reason enough to want to tear down old buildings. Of course, the planners may have other ideas!

It's not impossible, but maybe worth seeking pre-application advice as building on green belt land can be painful. Using the existing barns as existing floor area and comparing that to the new buildings/areas would be a start.

In terms of planning, converting is a little simpler than demolishing/building from new. But obviously working with existing buildings usually exposes certain elements that would require additional time and money.

Sponsored Links
Refer to your local plan. The plan will have a section specifically on green belt policy. Green belt plans will normally allow development of existing buildings but depending on location may not allow replacement. Once you've done your own research you'll need to speak with a local professional who knows what he's doing. Be wary of negotiating with local authority. Most LAs have a presumption against development and they'll give you the impression that what you propose is impossible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back