Planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I would ask the experts on here based on the current laws regarding the need for planning permission

I have a semi-integral garage which is currently able to be accessed via the porch at the front of the house. the garage has had the back half stud walled off from the accesseable part from the house to leave the back as a garage( has its own external access door).

the front half that is accessed from the house is as was when it was a garage, i.e brick walls, concrete floor and a garage door. I want to make this into a utility room/cloak room including taking out the garage door and replacing with brickwork/window.

I live down a private road, not sure if it makes a difference.

What do i need to do before I start getting builders in, is it only building control or do i also need pp as well. not trying to cut corners but just don't want to waste money/time if not need to.

Thanks as always. :D

Sponsored Links
None of what you describe usually needs planning permission. There are possible exceptional circumstances - such as withdrawal of permitted rights - so you should check with you local authority to make sure. But if you are in normal circumstances you won't need it. As you say, you do need building regs.

How would I go about checking, anything online or is it a trip to the council offices. Would prefer the first option so that I may go back to the firm who covered the building control/ sign off on my kitchen. They seemed more helpful on the BC side of things than the council inspectors have been on my other projects.
I was told at the time of the kitchen inspection the garage would need full permission as it would change the outward appearance of the house, but that the internal changes would be covered under BC.

Does that sound about right? Or have things changed, PP and what comes with it seems a little overkill in this instance for changing a door to a window

It is likely that you will not need to apply for Planning Permission. This is assuming that you have your property has Permitted Development rights intact, ie; that you do not live in a Conservation Area or have previously had your rights removed (common with new build houses).

Assuming you have these rights, then when you pop down to the Council they will advise that you submit an application for a Certificate of Lawful Development. This application will let the council ensure that the works that you want to do are in fact in accordance with your rights to develop your property.

This may be important in the future if you try to sell your home. A buyer may ask for evidence to show that any developments are lawful (and a good solicitor will do). If you have made this application you will be able to produce the certificate as proof, if you chose not to make this application then you may have trouble selling.

You will be subject to Building Control regulations.

Sponsored Links
luisdesign... Haven't you just expanded jeds' post, which is what you've basically repeated? :confused:

luisdesign... Haven't you just expanded jeds' post, which is what you've basically repeated? :confused:

Pretty much, because the OP second post pretty much equates the same answer, but I tried to explain the "why" which I thought may be helpful. i find that a lot of people don't realise that just because they may not need a planning application does not mean they shouldn't bother with a permitted development application (or the difference between the two).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back