Planning permisson for lean-to near highway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I have done quite a bit of reading on this, but my circumstances don't seem straight forward on the planning permission side of things.

I know I should phone the planning office but it's hard to desrcribe without photos.

We live in Wales.

All I want to do is add a lean-to on the back of our house. The area already has 3 stone walls (one is the house) and would just need pitched slate roof and a door on the one open side.

It would extend 2m from the house with a sloping roof 2m-1.5m and 3m wide.

It's intended use will be storing wood and possibly a biomass boiler in the future.

Issue is we have a country road to left with no footpath (see image below) and a private lane in front of the driveway (where I am standing to take the photo). The arrow shows where the lean to would go and the dotted line shows our side of the semi detached house.

This is technically the back of the house, the front of house looks across fields.

http://www.davidwiffen.com/temp/forums/photo1.jpg

Below is a closer view with the intended shape overlaid. I placed a length of timber in position to roughly show the pitch of roof I am intending.

Where the green cupboard is would be a wooden door and to the side wood cladding. As you can see 3 of the walls are already there.

http://www.davidwiffen.com/temp/forums/photo2.jpg

http://www.davidwiffen.com/temp/forums/photo5.jpg

Would I need planning permission for this?

Any help most welcome.

Sponsored Links
If the road which goes off to the right (the right fork) is private then it would most likely be a side extension (not facing a highway) and you almost certainly don't need planning permission.

This assumes all other factors are satisfied - i.e. removal of rights etc.

If the road which goes off to the right (the right fork) is private then it would most likely be a side extension (not facing a highway) and you almost certainly don't need planning permission.

This assumes all other factors are satisfied - i.e. removal of rights etc.

Thanks John - very helpful.

Any idea how I can find out or tell if this small road off to the right is a highway or private road?

It links to 3 houses, is about 30 metres long and then turns to a dirt track. You have to go up a low kerb to get onto it off the main road.

Sorry I know thats vague. You can see why this doesnt fit the simple criteria for planning permission!

Your local authority highways dept keeps a record of all adopted roads and pathways. Ask them.

Sponsored Links
Your local authority highways dept keeps a record of all adopted roads and pathways. Ask them.

I contacted the local authorities and they have confirmed this lane is adopted and therefore a highway.

So does this mean I need planning permission?

Fraid so. You can't build a side extension which faces a highway under permitted development.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back