Proposed extension near to Sycamore tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I'm planning on building a 1 story extension off the back of my house on PD. The planning application has been submitted and they've done their site visit. In regards to building control, I'm planning on putting it through on a notice, however, there is a large sycamore tree currently 13 metres from the exisiting house and will be 10 metres from the proposed extension.

Will this be a case that once the foundations are dug out, BC will inspect the foundations for roots?

Option would be to have the tree out but I'm not very keen on that

Please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks in advance

James

Sponsored Links
The BCO wont inspect for roots. The idea is that a tree near a building could take up a lot of water causing the ground to shrink and foundations to move

A sycamore at 10m would need foundations 1.25m deep. Possibly some compression board to, but your designer should detail that depending on the maturity of the tree

Removing a mature or semi mature tree can cause even more problems if you build too soon afterwards

Hello Woody,

Thanks for coming back to me. Without trying to sound like a complete plum are plans/drawings necessary for a simple single story extension?

Thanks in advance

James

Sponsored Links
If you are DIYing and know what to do, then you can build without plans.

Likewise if you have a builder who not only knows what to do, but also will assume the risk for any changes which the inspector may require, then again it can be built without plans

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back