purchasing a property with no REGs for loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am in the process of possibly buying a terrace house that has a loft conversion but no building regs for it.

it is not being sold as a 3 bed because of this issue but as a 2 bed.

i was wondering, how would 1 go about getting said 'regs' and how much hassle would it be?

now, i know this is a hugely open question but visually, it would seem the conversion was done to a decent standard, simply without permision? DIY probably.

Sponsored Links
This is called Regularisation. When were the works carried out? You can only get regularisation for works carried out after 1985. If it was done say 20 years ago it would beg the question if there is much point getting regularisation!

Getting regularisation will involve Building Control inspecting the works that were carried out, this will involve peeling back the plasterboard here and there to inspect the structure: steel beams, floor joists, rafters maybe. Inspecting the insulation and ensuring the ventilation system for the roof is up to standard etc etc. Have mains smoke alarms been fitted? Have fire doors been fitted? It may be messy and dusty, will involve some repair works and if the structure say were insufficient will mean major disruption, cost and mess.

How invasive this can be can depend on how good a job has been done, if when looking at say a steel beam it is found to be undersized or non existent even then the Inspector is likely to take a more better look at other aspects if he suspects a proper bodge job. /you may have to pay a structural engineer to do some calcs and prove the conversion is structurally sound.

You would just phone your Local Authority Building Control and they will talk you through it.

Local Authorities charge around £700-900 to do the inspections.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bu...ogetapproval/bcpresiteapproval/regularisation
//search.diynot.com/forum_sear...reddymercurystwin&search=Search+Forum&stype=0

Just because a job looks nice has no bearing on whether it was a good job. The difference between getting Building Control approval and not is minor in comparison to the whole expenditure of a proper loft conversion even if DIY so I would be very suspicous that someone should got to all the hassle of converting a loft and not bother getting a few inspections along the way which would in effect reduce the selling price of their house by thousands :?:

i suspect there's a 95% chance it will never meet regs and be no more than storage
the likely costs to get it up to standard is likely to be around 25% more than a proper loft conversion as in rip it out and start again

Sponsored Links
Unusually blunt for you big-all! :p

i know i can be bad news sometimes :D :D

of course i hope it will pass with minimal alteration :LOL:
but at this stage in the purchase its essential that the possible outcome needs to be metioned for them to make a sensible rational choice :rolleyes:

if the roof supports have been removed then the roof could be pushing the walls out.

Worst case is the roof collapses and takes the rest of the house with it.

I'd run away very very fast and look for an unconverted house where you can do the job properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back