Raised decking options ref 30cm rules.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bit of advice required please,

We have a back door onto an old yard type area with communal access accross for neighbours (terrace). After about 5 meters we have steps upto a raised garden patio area 16x25ft (same for all neighbours). at the end of our garden is a neighbours rear garden wall from a side street (effectively land locking us) which was built before we bought our house. The views of fields have been obscured by the height of the wall when you sit down and so i would like to build a raised deck by about 45-55cm. Obviously this is above the 30cm rule but the flower bed at the rear of the garden next to this wall is 25cm higher than the rest of the patio, so can i measure decking height from this and add my 30 to get 55cm if i deck over it? alternatively can i raise all the ground level before decking, to then do it within the 30cm?

Thanks for any help

Truman

Sponsored Links
Its 30cm from the highest existing ground level it covers. You cannot increase the existing ground level to suit as it will no longer be existing will it.

There have been several threads on this lately and I have to say if the proposed decking is likely to upset anyone or have the planners knocking on the door it may save a load of grief just to apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development before you build it. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/next/lawfuldevelopmentcertificate

Its 30cm from the highest existing ground level it covers. You cannot increase the existing ground level to suit as it will no longer be existing will it.

There have been several threads on this lately and I have to say if the proposed decking is likely to upset anyone or have the planners knocking on the door it may save a load of grief just to apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development before you build it. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/next/lawfuldevelopmentcertificate[/QUOTE]

Darmuid Gavin did a patio that rose up on hydraulic rams. When it was "up" they were towering over the neighbours !
Simon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back