REGS regarding ventilation extractor fan for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone know if I am forced to have an extractor fan in my new bathroom when there is a large opening window in there and because of my lung condition it is bad for me to live in dry atmosphere and so have humidifiers all over the house.

Sponsored Links
Yes a fan is needed unless you have a whole house ventilation system. You could always not use it.

Mould spores will be even more harmful to your health

does anyone know if I am forced to have an extractor fan in my new bathroom when there is a large opening window in there and because of my lung condition it is bad for me to live in dry atmosphere and so have humidifiers all over the house.

Extractor fans in bathrooms make houses far more healthy and comfortable places to live, however if it bothers you then they come with an isolating switch so you can always turn it off.

This is obviously an existing house so what do you mean by a NEW bathroom? Are you just upgrading an existing bathroom or is this a newly built bathroom in an extension or something?

Sponsored Links
Forming a new bathroom in a room where there wasn’t one before or a bathroom in a new extension must comply with current BR’s which will require a fan.

If it’s a new/refurbished bathroom, there is no requirement to fit an extractor fan if there wasn’t one previously fitted as long as ventilation provision is no worse than before, i.e. you’ve also blocked up a permanently open vent. Fitting an extractor fan is a positive benefit & if you go for one with a humidity sensor, I don’t see how it will worsen you lung condition. Condensation, damp & the resultant mould spores will do you far more harm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back