Replacement of Asbestos garage with brick...planning needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just a quickie (Ooo matron)

My parents are in the midst of a move to a house with a free standing asbestos garage to the rear of the property about 2 feet from the boundary fence to next door.
They would like to have the garage taken down and removed and replaced with a proper brickbuilt job but are unsure if they would need planning permission or building regs or not as they are technically replacing like for like.
Size wise i think it will be the same so won't encroach on any other land and the height will be the same or maybe fractionally taller but maybe not as it'll be flat roofed as opposed to pitched roof at present.
I know that different authorities have different views but as just a rough guess does anybody have any ideas on this?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
No I suppose not. I don't know why i thought that as rules are rules aren't they.
I think what i meant was some councils are better than others and some are just crap when it comes to certain things but at the end of the day the regulations and compliances would have to be the same.

From what i can gather from here and others places as long as it was within the stated parameters etc then it should be ok as long as the usage doesn't change.

I would have thought the destruction of an asbestos garage was the first hurdle to cross.

Sponsored Links
The asbestos garage is the easy bit. I can either do that myself and take it to the local tip as they have asbestos facilities or my parents will probably get someone in to have it dismantled.
Either way, the question wasn't the asbestos part but whether permission would be needed to rebuild on the site of the old garage and from what i can find out it won't.
Thanks though. :D

Just in cae you're not aware there are two different and separate issues:
Planning Permission and Building Control Approval.

I'd guess that you don't need either, but I'm not suffiently aware of your situation to offer a definitive opinion.

Planning Permission is obviously about whether you're allowed to build it, or the dimensions/style of it. It's probably not applicable, unless you're in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) or similar.

Building Control Approval is about the quality/methods emplyed. As these normally don't affect buildings, such as garages, under 30m², I'd say it's probably not applicable in your case, as long as it meets other criteria, e.g distance form the boundary, construction materials, etc.

Also do some research about removing asbestos before attempting it.
You may be breaking some regulations, or worse, causing a health risk.
You could take a small sample for analysis.

To remove the garage, you will need to identify the type of asbestos. Generally it would be ACM (asbestos containing material) which you will need to double bag and dispose to a licensed skip.

To replace the garage you can get away with Planning if you use the same footprint and height. The max height you can go up is 4m. If you go above the 4m and someone phones the council, you will have to do a retrospective planning application. Inder

To replace the garage you can get away with Planning if you use the same footprint and height. The max height you can go up is 4m. If you go above the 4m and someone phones the council, you will have to do a retrospective planning application. Inder
Again, miss-leading advice Inder, it can be as big as the PD rules permit.

Again, miss-leading advice Inder, it can be as big as the PD rules permit.

Now, now Freddie, lets be nice to each other.

Below is an extract from Planning Portal:-

Outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.

An apology would be nice. Inder

I'd like to apologise to you Inder but for what I don't know, it is getting a little tedious correcting your posts, please state whereby if the OP builds a garage within the limits set by PD it will not comply with PD as you seem to be inferring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back