Replacement Porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all, I have an existing porch located on the front elevation of my house, it's approximately 900mm deep and about 2700mm wide, door is located on the right face, window on front elevation approx 1500 wide, smaller window on left elevation approx 850 wide, base is concrete and appears in good condition, roof is flat and is an extension of the garage roof.

The porch is timber construction and is in quite a poor state, with the base and roof being sound I would like to replace with a new timber frame, a UPVC door/frame in place of existing timber door, new UPVC window in place of existing sheet of glass, the timber frame would then be insulated, plasterboard and skimmed internally, externally would have a suitable ply or other material applied (open to suggestions) then looking at installing brick slips, so would appear to be off brick construction.

To finally get to the point! Would there be any building regulation issues? Tried to speak to my local authority who quite frankly were as much use as the existing porch!

I do not want to really go down the route of brick built as this would require either a reduction in internal space, or larger overall footprint, which I believe could require planning, also cost wise I have received a quote which was quite frankly astonishing!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Freddy, assume you mean only that an external door needs to remain, not that the current door needs to remain.

Any issues with location off the door, thinking it may work better if the door was on the front elevation rather than right

Thanks again

I mean that an external grade door is required to separate the main house from the porch. Without that separation the porch must comply with Building Regulations.

Sponsored Links
That's great, between the porch and the house, there is a multi lock, UPVC door and window section

Cheers

Just something to bear in mind... make sure you don't attract the attention of the local planning authority as a demolition and re-build counts under new build. You can erect porches under PD (providing you have PD rights and it's within the requirements, i.e. max. 3sq.m, 3m high, etc...). And with regards to BR, if you are thinking about making the porch floor level with the existing house, the existing external door and threshold may cause problems so providing you can re-use/retain that door, then BR shouldn't apply.

Thanks DOHDesigns, the porch would have a footprint of 2.52m2 and is 2.1m high so no issues with PD, not panning on changing existing floor level

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back