Replacing a door and BC.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My back door is starting to go a bit rotten thus I am thinking about replacing it. However I don't like the idea of having to pay building control £108 just to replace a door costing about the same price. It seems an extortinate amount to pay to me. I know that I could pay someone FENSA resistered to hang the door but I know I'm perfectly cabable of hanging a door myself, I've done quite a few internal doors before.
I don't intend on selling the house anytime soon and the door is not visible from the street so it's unlikley that anyone from the councel would even notice it's been changed.
Would anything bad happen if I was to just swap the door and be done with it and not bother with the £108 "tax"?
If the fee was a fair and sensible amount then I would be happy to pay it but £108 seems extortionate.

Sponsored Links
Just change it mate. Don't play into big brothers money grabbing hands.

Just go for it, WTF does it matter to them if you have a new door or not.

Its your house, you want a new door you fit a new door - ignore the council pen pushing.

Its not like a door does much thermally anyway, put it in, make it good, strong and well locked.

[quote="mattylad"

Its not like a door does much thermally anyway[/quote]

:eek: Leave it open this time of year then,,, notice a difference :?:

Have someone install a glazed one without toughened glass and a child slams it, what do you think will happen ?

Some regs are actually there for a reason and not just a tax.

But I agree if you are competent to do it just get on with it.

Sponsored Links
I didn't say anything about not fitting it to the regs, of course fit it correctly (its not that hard) just dont pay the tax.

Come and stand behind my door and you'll see what I mean :D

made my own doors fitted them myself, job done, just do not tell anybody simples

If your just replacing the door & not the frame it’s maintenance & doesn’t require FENSA certification or an LABC compliance certificate.

And why would it need LABC to know about it anyway?

They do not inspect it, they just charge for it.

It makes no difference if it is installed by a FENSA paying member or DIY.

The quality of workmanship could be the same, could be bad, could be good. I see absolutely no point in this requirement to notify?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back