Replacing decking with extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

We've a 2.3m piece of decking to the side of the house
, which comes off the lounge. As you can see it's way over 30cm off the ground, but it's been there about 15 years (well before we moved in).

We'd like to replace it with an 3m extension
(apologies for the appalling drawing!), with an extra small extension (1.5m) of the kitchen to the right (looking at it). So basically a small room to eat in, and then a smaller bit to join it to the kitchen. This would also enable us to enclose and tidy up the rear garden.

There is a neighbour, but he's over 7m from the closest point of the decking, and will be 6m if we manage to extend; there's also a private drive between us and his garden (the extension will be 3m from the driveway as well). To be honest you can't see into his garden/house due to the number of trees/bushes between us. It will also be >15m from the actual road (at the end of a cul-de-sac).

Would this be likely to pass planning with the overlooking implications? As we're replacing pre-existing decking with something about the same size I'd like to assume yes, but you lot will have a lot more experience than me!

To be honest we've not mentioned it to him yet; still at the early stages, but don't want to spend >1k on plans etc if it's never going to get through. The council are also being reticent about pre planning advice (apparently they don't do it!)

thanks

Madge

Sponsored Links
Why do you need to spend 1K+ on plans?

DraftIT or OpenOffice Draw and you can come up with some scale drawings of what its going to look like. Few quit to et some scale block diagrams of the area and jobs a goodun

Less than £200 outlay for permission and diagrams

Okay, it was more an off the cuff amount; quicker than writing a few quid. Thanks though.

Anyone got any information over the planning question?

Ta

Sponsored Links
Would this not be permitted development, so no planning permission required?

Either way, it's hard to say without knowing the site, as that looks like a significant slope. Having said that, house second floors tend to have an element of over looking

Funnily enough, I did wonder whether if would come under PD, especially with the doubling from 4m to 8m. Guess I'll have to chase/hassle the council.

Just to clarify though it is only a single storey; and even from the circular window (our bedroom) you can't see the ground floor Windows next door.

Thanks.

Rob_Quads seems to have all the answers, we'll sit back and await his words of wisdom ......

Whats with the attitude? I don't see you proving any useful information

All I've said is that you can save money by drawing up the diagrams yourself and only spend a couple hundred to get that sort of development into planning.

Rob_Quads seems to have all the answers, we'll sit back and await his words of wisdom ......

Whats with the attitude? I don't see you proving any useful information

All I've said is that you can save money by drawing up the diagrams yourself and only spend a couple hundred to get that sort of development into planning.
And your answer is to whack in a tin-pot application and hope for the best? Obviously that is all a professional would do, I bow to your superior knowledge.

You obviously know best. I better inform my council they are wrong to be passing my 'tin-pot' applications.

A bit of research, a bit of time and a decent computer user can produce plans which are more than acceptable for planning permission (for that size of extension)

(Obviously when drawing up plans for full building regs it is a different level of expertise that is too advanced for many and professional advise is best)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back