Replacing existing 2-storey outbuilding/workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Victorian brick-built workshop/outbuilding on my property (probably used originally for keeping a pony & trap) with what was probably originally a hayloft above. It's a smallish building with a footprint of approx 4x5 m but it's very damp due to the ground level being built up to a considerable height behind the building and I've recently discovered dry rot in the joists for the loft area. I've decided that my best plan of action would be to tear it down and replace with a new building. I had thought that converting into some liveable extra accommodation would add value to the house and an architect mentioned a live/work space, granny annex etc. Having done a bit of googling I've realised that, from a point of view of rates & council tax, both of these options would cost me more in the long term and the live/work space is entirely unsuitable for my needs (I go out to work and don't work from home!!)

One option might be to rebuild the outbuilding to a habitable standard from a point of view of building regs etc but not apply for a change of use at this time. Would this be a legal and viable option? To make best use of the first floor an increase in the height of the building at the front would benefit but I am in a conservation area and I think that might prove tricky. If that was not possible then a galleried area in the rear portion of the building would have to suffice (the roof slopes from the back to the front) but would limit options in the future. I would also like to install a toilet and shower in the building and I don't know how this sits with planners with regards to change of use etc.

I will also seek alternative advice from sources other than the architect already mentioned as perhaps engaging an architect for such a small project is overkill and I only have a limited budget and his quoted fees seemed quite high.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
If you're in a conservation area, check that the council haven't removed your PD rights via an article 4 direction. If they haven't, what you can do is still restricted but ou are at least allowed an outbuilding. You might not be allowed to demolish and rebuild your building depending on where it is on site, and if it's currently more than 4m high, off to one side of the house or nearer than 5m (for example) you might well be better off repairing it than replacing it. If you want to re-do the whole thing, you might be looking at taking it down in stages and rebuilding the stage so it looks the same. I've no idea how much of the building you'll need to leave standing at any one time in order for it to be classed as being repaired rather than demolished and rebuilt.. Probably more than 50%. If you need extra height inside, you could consider digging the floor out? In terms of what you may use it for - anything incidental to the use of the main house which essentially restricts it to something you do as a hobby (swimming, workshop, arts and crafts, gym, movies) rather than something you do to survive (eat, sleep)

and if it's currently more than 4m high, off to one side of the house or nearer than 5m (for example) you might well be better off repairing it than replacing it.

Ah, ok. It fulfills at least two of the above criteria..

If you want to re-do the whole thing, you might be looking at taking it down in stages and rebuilding the stage so it looks the same. I've no idea how much of the building you'll need to leave standing at any one time in order for it to be classed as being repaired rather than demolished and rebuilt.. Probably more than 50%. If you need extra height inside, you could consider digging the floor out? In terms of what you may use it for - anything incidental to the use of the main house which essentially restricts it to something you do as a hobby (swimming, workshop, arts and crafts, gym, movies) rather than something you do to survive (eat, sleep)

That's very useful. I'm not sure that taking it down piece by piece and rebuilding would be very easy but I would have to take advice on that. Although it is an old building it is rendered and I figured a similar finish would disguise the modern construction of a replacement building. I'm disinclined to dig the floor out to increase internal height because most of the problems with the current building (and adjoining house) are caused by raised ground levels externally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back