Replacing floors - does it need building control?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Going through a renovation of our recently bought bungalow and discovered the floors (and walls!) are of various construction.

40% is original solid floor -1930s - sounds hollow in places :?:

40% is suspended timber with a concrete oversite in the void (2ft void) - these seem sound.

20% is suspended timber with a 3ft void - no concrete lining just soil - these are rotten, wall plates and ends of joist were in pretty bad shape.

Survey showed no damp in any walls etc and nothing of note in the floors! They feel solid under foot still but the wall plates were very brittle.

We had planned all along on fitting UFH and given the recent discoveries we are looking to replace the entire ground floor with concrete comprising 100-200mm insualtion, DPM, UFH and gysum based screed.

Will Building control inspection be required? I couldnt find anything specific on floors but i dont know if the insualtion aspect would need to be bought off?

Cheers Neil

Sponsored Links
Good stuff,

Just looked a few different local councils Building control portals and seen floors are included under Structural Modification, my local council site only says walls and roof!

Thanks again, ill do some home work before committing to the new floor to make sure it will meet regs.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back