replacing hedge with wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks just wondering if you could give me a little information..

Do I need planning permission to replace a hedge at the front of my house with a wall + metal railings? we live in a semi detached house on a corner and the hedge is just out right dangerous for getting in and out of our driveway.

The current hedge height is around 4ft tall. We would be wanting to built the wall up to around 2.5 ft with "pillars" in middle and edges to bring them up to 4ft, then put railings between the pillars to bring it up to the original 4ft..

So would this kind of work require building control or would I be fine to go ahead and get someone in to quote for the work?

thanks in advance

Adam.

Sponsored Links
Any wall above 1m high will need permission.

Andy
Not necessarily, it depends on the location. The regulations also stipulate you can “alter, maintain or improve an existing fence, wall or gate (no matter how high) if you don't increase its height”. It doesn’t say anything about replacing a hedge with a wall so it might pay you to ring your LABC for clarification on that one.

Sponsored Links
I think what HERTSDRAINAGE2010 was referring to was adjacent to a highway.

If the hedge is currently adjacent to the highway then replacing it with a fence higher than 1m WILL require planning permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back