road boundary fence regulations

Hi i found this on the kent planning website

i have read a lot about this and from what i can gather.. thus far as it is your land, and not on a conservation site or green belt, but on the edge of such land, your property is still yours!!

read below is a copy n paste of the planning portal kent webby site
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fences, gates and garden walls
Planning Permission
You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate and that it would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere; or
your right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates is removed by an article 4 direction or a planning condition; or
your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building.
the fence, wall or gate, or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage.

You will not need to apply for planning permission to take down a fence, wall,or gate, or to alter, maintain or improve an existing fence, wall or gate (no matter how high) if you don't increase its height.
In a conservation area, however, you might need conservation area consent to take down a fence, wall or gate.

You do not need planning permission for hedges as such, though if a planning condition or a covenant restricts ( you need to look into this ok ) planting (for example, on "open plan" estates, or where a driver's sight line could be blocked) you may need planning permission and/or other consent.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so unless i have missed something ? lol i think i may have :eek:/
simply put, do not increase the height.. and replace!
but this is depending on your level with the road/soil as i understand it is not the same. so that needs looking into in more detail

So i would contact the planning police and ask them to explain the reason as to the Enforcement Notice? and that it is invalid.. or that you are happy to remove the offending old fence line, and build your new one 6" back on your own land.
and that you are only doing work on your land, subject to height restrictions of course you will not need to source a PP.

sorry but if anyone can put anything else to this then please do.. just dont snipe me post or cheak me speeling ok.

Sponsored Links
"Next to" is usually understood to mean within 1 metre. That's one metre of the highway, which includes the footpath, and the verge.
So if you put the fence 1 m away it can be 2m high. Or you can plant a hedge and let it grow as high as you like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back